Hey Jude (Thorin x modern reader) (Song by The Beetles)

Ever since you had randomly fallen into Middle Earth, you had taken a liking to Thorin Oakenshield. You remembered the moment you opened your eyes on a couch in Ered Luin and spotted the gruff dwarf prince. Your heart had skipped a beat as you felt a feeling that you'd never felt before, despite the fact that you had three different boyfriends in your own world. At first, he'd been cold to you, then slowly he warmed up as the two of you got closer every day. Your feelings for each other had come out the day he announced that he was leaving to go on a journey to reclaim Erebor, his old home. He had wanted you to stay behind, but you had stubbornly insisted on going. As the two of you bickered back and forth, Thorin had let out that the reason he didn't want you to go was because he cared for you, and would be broken if something happened to you. You had replied that the reason you wanted to go with him was that so you could keep him safe, and that you would be just as broken if you had to be apart from him, not knowing if he was alive or not. Eventually, after a love confession and a couple kisses, Thorin had allowed you to come, as long as you didn't do anything reckless.

That was long ago, nearly two years. You had made it to Erebor and had successfully fought for the mountain kingdom. It had taken nearly a year to finish all the repairs and renovations, and now you could finally take a breath. However, there was still one thing that was troubling you.

You would have thought that once you had made it to Erebor, Thorin would propose to you and make you his queen. Instead, he pushed you away, so much so that you barely even saw him anymore. You didn't understand it. After all, you had gotten so close and you thought that nothing could ever push you apart. You spent the long hours of your day pondering what you could do to close the gap between you. But it wasn't until you heard a snippet of a conversation between Balin and Dwalin that you knew what you had to do.

"I still don't understand what sense there is in pushin' her away," came Dwalin's voice from behind a library shelf. Your ears perked up and you made an effort to not make a sound.

"The lad doesn't want to talk much about it, but from what I've heard he has a lot of work on his shoulders," Balin's voice replied. "He doesn't want Y/N to see him so stressed out and worried. After all, she's his one, and he doesn't want to look weak in her eyes. But what he doesn't realize is that pushing her away won't make him look any better".

"Aye, so I've heard as well. Don't know who he's countin' on to give her affection, but ya can see by the lass' sad face that it hurts her. If only there was somethin' we could do".

"It would be nice, but unfortunately this is between Thorin and Y/N to sort out. There is nothing we can do to help them".  You heard Dwalin sigh, and then heard the two brothers make their way out of the library. 

It was certainly helpful to know why Thorin was avoiding you, but now you had to figure out how to make him realize that you didn't care if he was stressed, or worried, or tired, and that you could make him feel better if he would only let you. Suddenly, you had an idea.

It just so happened that tonight the company had decided to camp under the stars outside Erebor, as a memory of the hard journey you all had undertaken. You were sure that there would be some singing, as that was often present during your journey. You were also certain that you would be asked to sing as all the company agreed that you had a lovely voice, especially paired with the miniature carry along piano that had been on you when you were transported to Middle Earth. Luckily, you had the perfect song in mind. 

At the appointed time, you met the other members of the company by the back gates of Erebor, with your bedroll and piano in tow. Once everyone was gathered, you made your way into the backyard of Erebor, as you liked to call it, a field behind the mountain. There was merry chatter among all of you as you quickly got to your regular tasks, making a fire, setting up camp, and starting on a meal. You sat next to Bofur, Fili, and Kili, your best friends from the company. Naturally, Thorin sat as far away from you as possible. 

When the meal was cooked and everyone had eaten a good amount and was in merry spirits, Bofur spoke up. 

"Well there's no danger of wargs or orcs being on our trail, so why don't we have a song?". The others nodded in consent. 

"Let's have Y/N perform a song", Kili suggested. "She must have brought her piano out here for a reason".

"Aye that would be nice if you wouldn't mind Y/N", Bofur agreed. You nodded, glad that you had this chance.

"So the song that I'm going to play is one from my old world", you started. "It's called Hey Jude".

"Let's hear it then," Bofur said. You smiled and pressed a key on your piano, and then continued with the lyrics and music.

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it betterHey Jude, don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it betterOh-oh-oh, and anytime you feel the pain
Hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool
Who plays it cool
By making his world a little colderNaHey Jude, don't let me down
She has found you, now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better
Better, better, betterSo let it out and let it in
Hey Jude, begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
And don't you know that it's just you
Hey Jude, you'll do
The movement you need is on your shoulder
La, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, mmHey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
The minute you let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better
Better, better, better, better, better, whoa, yeah!

(For the purposes of this fic, I'm not taking the whole song, but you can search it up if you want the whole one).

As you hit the final chord, the dwarves erupted in cheery applause. 

"Beautiful lass," Bofur sniffed. "Yer music always is".

"Thank you," you smiled. You cast a glance at Thorin, and noticed that he was sitting with his head hanging. You walked over and quietly sat down next to him.

"Are you alright?", you asked. When he kept looking down, you lifted his chin with your hand so that he was looking at you. "Hey", you said gently. "Maybe you wanna talk to me about something?". You gazed deeply into those blue eyes that you had come to love so much.

"That song," Thorin said quietly. "It made me realize... I'm sorry Y/N. I'm so sorry for keeping you out of my life ghivashel (treasure of all treasures). I shouldn't have cast you aside, but the battle, and the reconstructions, they made me so stressed.  I didn't want you to see me like this". You shook your head fondly.

"I forgive you of course, but don't be so silly next time. You don't have to be perfect all the time, nobody is. I'd rather just see the honest you and what you're feeling at any given moment. And if you're stressed or worried, I'll comfort you. All I ask is that you let me in and tell me what's going on. Menu tessu (you mean everything to me) Thorin, and I would never push you away for being stressed".

"Menu tessu Y/N," he replied. "I can't believe how foolish I was". He pulled you closer to him, wrapping his arms around you and pressing his forehead against yours. "Never again Y/N", he whispered quietly, before pressing his lips to yours. 

Well that's it, my first ever story on Wattpad and my first songfic!!! Let me know how I did, and I hope you liked it.