My Girl (Bofur x Reader) (Song by Smokey Robinson)

Curled up in a back corner of a tavern was the best place to write a song, in your opinion. The chatter of the tavern created a perfect back drop for you while you were working on putting the words together, finding a tune, and everything else that needed to be done when one was writing a song. As a poet you often liked to work on your rhymes in a setting that wasn't completely isolated, but much preferred it when there were people around. You thought that it made your poetry more real if you weren't the only one present during its creation. 

You had started working on this song back in Erebor, in the comfortable sitting room where the members of the company and their close relations often gathered during the evenings and were now finishing it in a tavern as you had accompanied Bofur to Dale on some errands. The two of you had known each other since before the quest to Erebor but had only started courting once it was over and all were safe and had a permanent home. 

"Y/N, there you are," you heard, and turned to see Bofur walking up to you. "Work, work, work, all you do is work on your poetry my little bird. Why don't you come relax for a little, socialize, make some friends".

"I'm good love," you replied, shaking your head. "Besides, the noise helps me think".

"Alright if you say so," Bofur said, settling down beside you. "What are you writing about now?".

"Oh just the usual," you replied vaguely. "Nothing overly special". The thing was this may or may not have been your first song and it may or may not have been a bit more special than the other things you wrote, but you didn't want Bofur to know about it quite yet.

"What do ya mean nothing overly special?" Bofur demanded. "Ya take pride in all your work Y/N. Is something wrong?".

"No no," you assured him. "It's just well maybe not the most brilliant piece. I'm not very excited with it yet, I'm just sort of figuring out what to do with". It may have been a lie, but then again you weren't sure if your song was brilliant or not. 

"Maybe I can take a look and help you out," Bofur suggested. You always went to him when you had poet's block and he always managed to get you out of it, but naturally this time you didn't want him to.

"No no it's fine," you replied quickly. "You know what, maybe I should call it a day on this and go socialize just like you said".

"Are you well?" Bofur asked worriedly, pressing a hand to your forehead. "You are never one to give up your work".

"I'm fine I'm fine," you laughed nervously, batting his hand away.

"Listen I know you well enough to know that you are not fine," Bofur said sternly, pushing you down when you tried to stand up. "What's wrong? Why are you being so secretive with me? Why don't you want to finish your work?". You sighed. There really was no way around Bofur.

"Well in reality it's already done," you said hesitantly. 

"Well that's great," Bofur said encouragingly. "But is something wrong with it? Do you not like it?".

"No I love it," you replied. "It's... it's very good I think, but it's just different".

"Different?" Bofur asked.

"It's different than anything I've ever wrote. I'm just not sure about it. Even though I think it's good, it might not be".

"Well then how about I look it over for you? If there's anything wrong I'll spot it and help ya fix it".

"No, you can't do that. Not this time anyway".

"Well why not?" Bofur demanded, a little hurt. 

"Because I only want you to see it when it's perfect," you replied carefully. "Not anything but perfect".

"Hey I don't mind..." Bofur started.

"It's because it's for you," you blurted, tired of hiding the truth for him. "I wrote it for you. It's a song, but I've never written one before and I'm just not sure if it's good enough. But you don't deserve a song that isn't good enough".

"Aww lass, I deserve anything you created for me," Bofur said gently. "Everyone's firsts aren't always their bests. Hey your first poem wasn't perfect either but you learned how to make them perfect. And when I first learned how to play my instrument, the first things I played were horrific, but I got better. So you'll get better in song writing too. But in reality, it doesn't matter how bad or good it is if you wrote it for me. And maybe if you're comfortable, you could sing it to me?".

"Let's go outside," you suggested, telling yourself that you could do it. "There's less people there". Bofur nodded and followed you outside. As you walked you took deep breaths to soothe your hammering heart. 

"Hey," Bofur said once you were outside, placing a comforting hand on your shoulder. "You're amazing you know. You've got this. Whenever you're ready".

"Thanks," you smiled. "This song that I wrote- well it's about you kind of. Because you always say when anyone asks that you don't have enough words to describe how much you love me. So I wrote a song about it. It's called... it's called "My Girl". I hope you like it". Bofur nodded encouragingly as you took another breath and began to sing.

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
When it's cold outside
I've got the month of May
I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way

My girl, my girl, my girl
Talkin' 'bout my girl
My girl

I've got so much honey
The bees envy me
I've got a sweeter song
Than the birds in the trees
Well, I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way

My girl, my girl, my girl
Talkin' 'bout my girl
My girl
Ohh ohh
Hey hey hey

Hey hey hey
Oh yeah

I don't need no money, fortune, or fame
I've got all the riches baby one man can claim
Well I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way

My girl, my girl, my girl
Talkin' 'bout my girl, my girl, talkin' 'bout my girl
I've got sunshine on a cloudy day with my girl
I've even got the month of May with my girl
Talkin' 'bout, talkin' 'bout, talkin' 'bout

"Aww lass," Bofur said with tears in his eyes as you finished the song. "That was beautiful". He wrapped his arms around you, giving you a big sloppy kiss. "You're such a talent Y/N. Always have been".

"You don't have to say that just because we're courting," you said, though it did make you feel good. 

"I'm not," Bofur said. "I'm saying it as a professional musician first, and only as your lover second. Though my opinion as your lover matters more than my opinion as a musician. It always will".

"Thanks," you smiled. "Do you think I should write another song?".

"As many as you like lass, I'll love every one of them". 

You ended up writing many more songs with the help of Bofur and many more poems as well. He was always there for you, helping you as you stumbled and loving absolutely everything you wrote. But that wasn't why you loved him. You loved him because he was Bofur and there wasn't much more to say than that.

Yay another one done!!! I know this one was a bit shorter, but I just thought the idea was really sweet so yeah. I hope you liked it and I'll see you next time.