Understanding y/n

(DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP TO CHAPTER 34 but I would appreciate if you did bc y'all I even cited chapters LMAO)

Y/n is a very complex character and because of this, I don't think everyone understands the reason for her actions and thoughts.

Let me explain so we're all on the same page <3

Right off in the first chapter, we see the relationship between Ren and y/n. You get to understand there that she is and Ren don't blend well.

She was lost in a daydream and instead of being concerned, he blames it on her hobby.

Y/n has grown through a series of traumatic events. Because of this, she has a hesitation to change.

So when moving back to her hometown, aka where all those traumatic events had been, she was nervous about having a 'new' start there.

We see that when it is the first day of school, Senya and her mom have a hard time getting her to leave the car (Chapter 1). When she does get out, she asks Senya if he was nervous and reflects on the fact that their dad was last seen in the area. 

This also hints at the dependence she has on Senya after he made the initial promise to protect her (chapter 7).

When Momo calls her out for having a villainous father, she doesn't defend herself and this is because 1) she's heard it all before 2) there was no getting around the topic 3) she knows that she is the reflection of him because of her powers. She also at the time was no good at defending herself.

When she was a child society protected her because of course, she didn't choose to be a caster. But with age, that protection disappeared and now she is stuck trying to find ways to fend for herself.

When talking to Mina and Ochaco so openly about the car crash (chapter 3), this shows the idea that she does not know how to deal with her trauma.

Even though she and Senya went through years in a mental institution, she didn't retain any of what they tried to do. It was basically a waste for her.

Skipping to the Calvary battle (chapter 5) Bakugou goes to grab her and force her to be on his team. Right away she slaps his hand and gets mad at him.

This was a hint of what the childhood abuse has done to her. She is cold immediately to people who come off wrong to her or touch her without consent.

She also takes acknowledgment of Bakugou's aggressive personality but enjoys it because as she states many people live a fake persona, including herself during this time.

Chapter 6 is really where we see what the abuse has done to her mind at a very very young age. The scene describes the time she'd been first admitted to the mental hospital.

We see the nurse describe her as being dirty, covered in bruises and blood, malnourished, and she is completely silent the entire time.

In y/n's thoughts, she thinks about her mom, who'd also been abused, and basically thinks about how she misses her. This shows the relationship between the two is small but affected y/n enough to where she still cares about her.

We also see that she has a certain resentment toward society because although some people (like neighbors) knew what the family had been going through, no one saved them.

It also shows a bit of Stockholm syndrome because she still reflects on the fact that she had a love for her dad after the abuse.

As the calvary battle goes on, we see her use a specific ability that allows her to release a toxin into a person's body (what she did to the 1-b dude). She already hesitates to do this but we also see a sort of satisfaction in her.