Power to Kill For

When I woke up, I found myself in a comfy bed. Dim light was faintly pouring in through the window because the curtains were not fully closed.

I squinted my eyes and moved to turn over, away from the light, but pain shot through my left shoulder. I whimpered in pain and I willingly lay back down.

A door to my right opened and a figure stepped out, clothed in only a towel around their waist. I couldn't discern who it was because everything was blurry.

I watched as they walked over to a dresser and opened the top drawer, but looked away, burying my face into the pillow and closing my eyes, when they started to get dressed.

After a couple minutes, the bed dipped and I felt a hand on my face. I opened my eyes and turned my head to clearly see Derek sitting in front of me.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Shhh... it's okay." I whispered back, his hand cupping the side of my face.

Tears pricked at the edges of my eyes. I blinked and one spilled over, onto my cheek. His thumb wiped it away.

I looked at him to find his eyes already on me. Worry and concern were evident in them.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes." I said but shook my head 'no'.

A small smile appeared on his lips but it quickly disappeared when his eyes landed on my shoulder.

"I'm fine." I said, and sat up.

My body screamed in pain, as I used my left arm to push myself up, but I tried to ignore it.

"Jaileigh, please lay back down. I'll go get the nurse." He said.

I looked at him, and realized that he was blurry again. That's when I felt a tear fall to my cheek. I was crying. But from what? From the pain in my shoulder from sitting up?

"Fine." I grumbled.

He gave me a small smile and then got up and left, saying he would be back in a couple of minutes.

As soon as he closed the door, I sat up again, fighting the tears that threatened. I was not going to be stuck in a bed, rendered useless!

I stood up, clutching the nightstand by the bed when my vision and balance disappeared for a second. When I gained control again, I went into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

Soon warm water was spraying through the shower head, so I stripped and carefully got in.

I washed my hair and body, using my left arm as best I could. Then I shaved my legs and then just stood under the water for a while.

I heard the bedroom door open and Derek say.

"Sorry it took so long, I couldn't find her, but I finally did... Jaileigh?"

I could hear the worry in his voice, but I didn't have a chance to answer him because the bathroom door opened suddenly and his head poked in.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I could feel my cheeks heating up when his eyes looked me up and down.

"I, uh... the nurse is waiting in the... uh..." he didn't even finish his sentence.

"Okay." I said and reached for a towel, but it was too far away.

He had started to close the door but I stopped him.

"Uh, Derek?" I said.

"Yea?" he replied, not looking at me, but keeping his gaze on the floor.