56 Dinner and a Show

ADV BETA

The letters sear into my brain as my eyes freeze in place, locked on Nikita's collar. The longer I look, the more my blood boils.

"Luna?" Peter himself asks, raising a brow. "Are you okay?"

A switch flips in my mind. Anger consumes me as I desperately try to reel in my emotions. I'm pissed off to see her wearing that thing, but I'm more angry because it feels like a sucker punch with Peter’s claim on her. It's stupid to think Peter is a good guy, I warned myself against it, but he suckered me in and the betrayal leaves me bitter.

He's no better than the rest of them.

"Jess?" He calls once more, getting up from his seat. In slow motion, he reaches for my shoulder but I flinch back like his touch will burn me.

"Don't fucking touch me," I snarl, stepping back. My temper boils dangerously in me as I look from her to him and back to her.

"Jess," Peter says softer as he takes a tentative step towards me. The guilt flashing in his eyes just sets me off further, making my skin crawl.

"Don't," I growl, slapping his hand away. My outrage storms inside of me as Ember claws to get out. "You're just as sick as the rest of them." My voice is just a whisper as I say that more to myself, but I don't miss the hurt that flashes in his eyes before they harden.

"Judge me all you want Jess. Nikita is a powerful woman, worthy of my stature and protection. I am entitled to one for my position-"

The words aren't even fully out of his lips and I lose control, launching myself at him. To hear him refer to her as being worthy of him crushes what little self restraint I have left, leaving me desperate to destroy him.

Angry tears burn the corner of my eyes, blurring my vision, and threaten to fall as two strong arms wrap around me from behind. A feral snarl rips past my lips when I'm robbed of my prize. I squirm and twist against the hard chest, but his grip tightens. Rage consumes me, threatening to let Ember take over.

"Quite a little spitfire," Wayne coos in my ear. "Now I see what they see in you." Something about his words robs my fire of all of its heat, leaving me a smouldering mess. "Aww, that fighting fire out so soon? I was really hoping to have to put you over my knee." 

My heart hammers at the excitement in his voice.

"Let her go Wayne," Peter orders, eyes locked.

"Some thanks," he grits back. My skin crawls as I feel him breathe deep, taking in my scent.

"That is my thank you. Dimitri is about to come through those doors and won't like you touching what's his like that," Peter warns. His dark eyes lock on Wayne as he ticks his jaw.

"Later, sweetcheeks," Wayne rasps in my ear as he nips my ear lobe. I recoil from the contact instantly and push at his hands to break free. He practically drops me as the double doors creak open and the rest of the dinner group walks in.

The moment Alexander walks in, our eyes lock. Pity and disgust flash in them before they harden, making my cheeks burn. Next his eyes land on Nikita, he's trying hard to keep up his facade of indifference, but his energy betrays him.

"Jess, you look beautiful," Dimitri says as he walks up to me. He kisses me quickly on the cheek before pulling back. It's so sudden and unexpected he caught me completely off guard.

Dimitri freezes while he sniffs the air, before narrowing his gaze at Wayne. A triumphant smirk spreads across Wayne's face as Dimitri's anger mounts.

"Sit," Silas orders, releasing his full energy. His tone is polite enough but he's not asking. Wayne sits first, being happy to have gotten a rise out of Dimitri while Silas glares at us.