60 Clash of Titans

Chris POV

Cyrus claws and pushes against the barriers of my mind, desperate to take control. This isn't the first time an Alpha has challenged me, but thanks to my reputation, it's been years since the last one. We have been far too long without our mate and with too many delays. Friend or not, he views Kane’s refusal to back down as a direct challenge and is eager to deal with him like he would any other.

The problem is, I can't deny any of his points. Jess has been gone for far too long, suffering while we scramble. 

Now that the last problem of the bond is nearly solved, Kane of all people stands in my way?

Anger mounts in me as I glare at him on the far side of the field. There's a growing outrage feeding my anger, how dare he stand in the way when it involves my family. He would never tolerate it from me if the situation was reversed.

No time is wasted after neither of us would back down. The challenge is issued, Garrick as a royal representative will oversee and the Guardians will make sure there is no interference. 

No matter what, one of us will emerge the winner.

Already the training field is ringed with spectators. Judging by the size of the crowd, curious eyes from across all of the packs we are watching. Nearly all the warriors not on patrol are here to witness the match.

Everything just fades into the background as we wait for Nex and Jace to get here and the rest of the Alphas. My attention is solely fixed on Kane.

He's only a couple years younger than me and in the prime of his life. His build is much like mine, a typical bulky muscle-bound frame. Alphas are built for strength and stamina, being as equally matched guarantees things will get messy.

As we pace waiting, his glare just feeds my temper. His eyes swirl red, warning that his wolf is at the surface, though I have no doubt that he can see Cyrus in mine. 

Steam rises from my bare skin as my hot blood throbs in my veins. The crisp fall air does nothing to cool us off. I can't even feel it in the state I'm in even though I wear just a pair of jogging pants, the same as Kane. Our bare feet dig into the grass, leaving us ready to shift at a moment’s notice. Typically Alpha challenges are fought mostly in human form, but the longer a match goes the more likely a shift will happen.

Movement to my left barely registers as the last group of Alphas, Nex and my pack take their place. Jude’s tight lipped expression lets me know just what he thinks about this. I feel Sara trying to link me and feel her waves of frustration and annoyance at me, but I close myself off to focus on what matters.

"Betas," Garrick calls, summoning Nex and Jace. It's clear by their hardened expressions, neither man is happy with the situation. Both do their duty though and step to either side of Garrick.

"You know how challenges work, you are not to interfere," Garrick says, eyeing both of them. "Under any circumstances."

The implication hangs heavy in the air. Alpha challenges are dangerous on a good day, the more powerful the worse it will be. If neither of us will submit, things could turn deadly. The nerves shown in Jace and Nex’s eyes show that they are more than aware of our tempers and what the possible outcome could be.

"You can't be serious," Jace snaps. Nex just looks dumbfounded as his eyes shift between Garrick and Kane.

"The Alphas aren't backing down, if one won't submit... There has to be a winner," Garrick replies stoically. "Let’s pray it doesn't come to that." His voice is barely a whisper, but his stony front is cracked by the same concern that reflects back at me from Jace’s eyes.