64 She Needs You...

Chris POV

One minute I'm standing, reeling in the ruins of my office and the next I'm outside at the heart of the lake. I'm confused and angry, to say the least.

How am I here, but more importantly, why am I here?! Now, of all times, I need to do something! Jess! I need to help her!

This was my favourite place in my entire territory. I hold so many happy memories here, playing with friends as kids, catching Jess in the crystal cavern during Challenge and the passionate consolation prize she offered when I lost. The lush green grass and crystal blue waters have been a constant source of peace in my life.

"That's why I brought you here," a woman says behind me. Her silver blonde hair cascades down her back as her simple, elegant white dress flutters in the evening breeze.

Shit, this is the Moon Goddess.

"Yes, Chris."

Anger blooms in me as I'm taken away from what matters most, to play more games.

"Why!?" I yell at her as I close the gap. "We have done everything you ask! Everything!"

Rage consumes me once again as I'm face to face with the one responsible for all of this. Before I get to her, someone slams into me from the side, knocking me to the ground. I'm on my feet instantly, crouched ready to spring at my attacker.

The tall, black-haired male radiates power and calm as his golden eyes lock on mine.

Ethan's eyes. He has to be Luca, the first Alpha.

I should be humbled by this experience; many go their whole lives without a visit from either and yet they are both here. All I feel is anger though, for the suffering they have put us through.

"We are not to blame and you know it," he scolds.

"The fuck you're not!" I snarl. "Why her? Why make Jess your witness, make her suffer like this," I beg, desperate for answers. My voice cracks with pain and my eyes burn as I remember her terror.

"She is my witness because of who she is. I don't want her to suffer anymore then you do!" He growls, stepping closer.

"We don't have time for this!" Selena cuts in, grabbing Lucas' arm and giving me a pointed look.

"She's right, we didn't bring you here to fight," Luca admits, standing down. His hard gaze softens slightly as he looks off to the right.

"She needs you, Chris," Selena says, touching my arm and nodding off to the side. A raven-haired woman I don't recognize crouches over a crumpled heap, whispering softly. The air shimmers around her as she moves her hands over the broken body.

My heart drops as I see it's Jess curled up on her side with her back to us in the grass. I run to her, stumbling to her side as I take in her battered and beaten form. The sight of her is like a knife to my heart.

I was supposed to protect her and this is what happens.

Cyrus howls in anguish as we look her over. The bastard hasn't missed an inch, leaving her black, blue, and bleeding all over. I'm torn between wanting to pick her up and cradle her and worried that in her broken state I'll just hurt her more.

"You couldn't shield her from this, Chris. None of us could," Selena says. Here blue eyes are full of sorrow as tears threaten to fall.

"Help her!" I beg as tears well in my eyes. Desperately I look between them, but they all just stand there looking at me with pity.