31 Bloodlines

"Really Derek," I growl.

"Don't 'really Derek' him, what the fuck Jess?" Chris snaps. "You met some rogue, out of the territory, in the middle of the night, alone!" He's shaking in anger, not even knowing the full story and ready to erupt.

"Relax," Mack says dismissively. "She wasn't alone."

Chris whips around to face her and I swear I hear a tooth crack. "That's so much better," he grits out.

"Maybe from the top luv," Dex chimes in, grinning.

I went over it all, from start to finish, not leaving out a single detail. No one has ever heard of or met Caimen before, and as expected, are skeptical of rogues.

It was agreed that Chris, Kane and Garrick will go with me for the follow up meeting. They may not trust rogues but they trust me, and more so if Selena says this is the way, who are they to argue.

To say Chris was less than impressed to hear that Caimen knew about Ember is an understatement. Even Garrick was shocked that he knew. Apparently even knowing that I'm a wolf none can sense her unless she presents herself.

"The next time you get that feeling I don't care if I look like death warmed over, wake me," Chris grumbles. "Understood?"

"Yes," I concede as I roll my eyes. So damn dramatic!

After lunch finishes they split up. Chris and Jace are off to help Nex and Mitch with training as the system is totally off kilter with Sara's sudden departure. She's still not talking to any of us.

Chris wants me to take it easy today, so I make my way down to the study to see the Keeper. I haven't had a chance to talk with her since she came back with us. With any luck she can tell me something about the bloodlines, specifically Lucas, but now I'm curious about how many there are.

I knock but after no one answers I push the big wooden doors open. This is the first time I'd set foot in the study, and I must admit I am impressed!

As expected there are floor to ceiling bookcases everywhere, but what I didn't expect was just how many. This is more accurately a mini library, at least twice as big as Still Waters. 

To the left was a softly lit alcove with a simple wooden desk near a window. On the right there's another desk set up but it's piled high with books, making its own fortifications.

"Hello?" I call. The Keeper reportedly hasn't left here since she set up shop.

"Luna? What brings you by?" She asks, peering around her book fortress, brown eyes locked on me. All the bumps and scrapes are long gone and her dark blond hair hangs in loose waves around her shoulders.

"I came to see you actually. Are you settling in well? They say you never leave," I say, trying to break the ice.

"Leave? Why would I leave? They have a surprisingly impressive library here, I've nearly finished scanning them," she says beaming. Clearly books are her happy place.

"Do you have everything you need?" I push on.

"Oh yes, I'll need more papers for my notes, but for now I'm good," she says with a smile before turning back to her books. "What can I do for you, Luna? Or is it Guardian... or Witness?" She asks, raising a brow with a knowing smile.

"U-um," I stammer, unsure of how to proceed.

"There are four people who could seal the citadel. Keepers, Elder Guardian, Royals or Witness. I'd know if you were a Keeper, Garrick still holds his position," she trails off, appraising me. "You're not quite royal, so that leaves a witness."