85 Promises Kept

Excitement and adrenaline propel me through the forest, encouraging my legs to pump harder and faster. Cyrus nips my flank, tagging me as he catches up.

'This isn't taking it easy,' he admonishes.

'You said run... What's the matter Alpha? Not enjoying the chase?' I tease back, stressing his title.

'I'm finding it immensely enjoyable, you have no idea,' he growls. 'But I don't want you to push it, our night is far from over.'

Our pace slows as we reach the shimmering edge of the lake. The rush of the water cascading over the falls is music to my ears. We stoop over to lap some of the pristine water as several others join in.

Claire slowly makes her way over and takes a drink, even wild she looks like she may burst at any time. Xavier's big chocolate wolf carefully attends to her and I can feel his concern from here.

'How much more?' I ask Chris, tilting my head towards him.

'We'll run the main perimeter,' he links back with an edge of hesitation.

I look back at Claire and struggle with what to do. Ember loves to run wild, but our stamina is nowhere near back up to par.

Lord knows Claire is in no shape to continue.

'Stay,' he says, ending my internal debate. I rub my head against his neck in appreciation before slipping over to Claire.

'I'm done,' I huff, flopping down near her and setting my head down on my paws.

'Oh thank god,' she replies, laying with me. 'This pup says no running!' Xavier nods appreciatively at me before nuzzling Claire once more.

'Go, we'll be right here when you get back,' I laugh, not bothering to lift my head.

Chris howls and is joined in by the rest of the pack, sending chills down my spine. The power in the chorus is awesome. He turns and takes off leading the pack on the rest of their run. A quick glance shows several other wolves chose to stay behind at the lake, the elderly and the pregnant ones by the looks. I know Mira, Grandmother, and the children too young to shift will be at the starting line. I saw Ethan's little silver grey wolf hot on Chris' heels though.

In no time, I hear Claire slip into a light even breathing pattern hinting she's fallen asleep. Between her rhythmic, soft snores, the sound of the waterfall and the shimmering of the lake, my lids get heavy and I drift off too.

Some time later, a warm snout nuzzles me awake. I blink and stretch, looking up at Chris's hulking black wolf before realizing we are alone.

'Come, little one,' he encourages. I get up and pad off after him as he weaves his way through the understory along a stream before coming out at a different, smaller lake.

He leads us over to a small log cabin right near the water. Soft firelight illuminates the interior as smoke puffs out the chimney. Without hesitation, he lopes right up to the stairs, only pausing for me to catch up.

Cautiously, I follow him up the stairs and onto the covered porch. In the blink of an eye he shifts back, revealing Chris in all his naked glory.

'Are you going to just stare? Or are you going to shift too?' He teases. I look around warily for prying eyes and whimper, scratching at the door.

"Shift for me baby, I promise it's just us," he whispers, stroking my head. The emotion in his voice and eyes stills me instantly. He never breaks his gaze as I shift back and offers a hand to help me straighten up.