17 Honest

Soft crackling and popping brought me out of my deep slumber. My eyes water as I try to bring my vision into focus. I sit up, rubbing my eyes as I clutch the blanket to my naked chest, looking around.

It was a spacious cave with a roaring fire a few feet away. The ceiling was surprisingly high and the fire kept it pleasantly warm and dry.

I was nestled in a pile of blankets, no idea how long I'd been sleeping but I could see the sun was long down outside. There was no sign of Chris, making me anxious.

"Look who's finally awake," he teases from the mouth of the cave. The way the firelight dances across his bare chest has all of my attention as he walks over. His joggers sat dangerously low; the man is built like a Greek god.

'And all ours,' Ember purrs in approval.

"How long was I out?" I ask, sheepishly.

"About four hours, give or take," he says as he walks over to the duffel bag. 

I shot straight up, shit, we must have ran and played for a couple hours easily. I missed evening training with the Guardians. His sultry chuckle brought me out of my personal freak out as he wraps me in his arms.

"Late for a hot date?" He asks, raising a brow, the mischief dancing in his hazel eyes.

"Think I did the hot date early, but I was supposed to be at training before supper," I mumble nervously. I so can't be trusted with remembering a schedule.

"That you did baby," he said with a knowing smirk that made me light up like a christmas tree. "And your training is cancelled for tonight and tomorrow morning. Just have to get you back for afternoon sessions."

"You don't have any-"

He cut me off, tilting my head up to capture my lips. Kissing Chris was incredible, everytime felt like magic as he'd breath new life into me, lighting a fire.

All too soon he pulls back staring deep into my eyes, a sad smile on his lips. His thumb traces circles on my temple as I lean into the caress.

"Rest baby, you let this run too wild sometimes. Give yourself a break, stay with me in this moment, just us," he whispers, hazel eyes locked and pleading.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, dropping my gaze. 

Chris lifts my chin forcing me to look at him. "Jess I love how much you care, your heart is so big, baby. I'm not as selfless as you. By some miracle I've been given a second chance with the love of my life and I want you all to myself."

His eyes hide nothing; I can feel my love for this man blooming in my heart exponentially. Everything just feels right when I'm in his arms, like I am home.

"I'm all yours," I whisper, snaking a hand behind his neck as I pull his lips to mine. Our kiss was different, the raw hunger was replaced by a sensual passion. He pulls away sooner then I would have liked and rests his forehead on mine while his breathing evens out.

"If I don't stop now I won't be able to," he whispers, voice strained.

"Then don't," I mumble.

"God you test me little one," he replies with a strained chuckle. "You need to eat something, shifting takes a lot of energy and knowing you, you've either forgotten to eat, or didn't like what was available." I can't even dispute that, I'm terrible for that.

I sigh as he lets me go. Chris grabs a couple bottles of water and a large Tupperware container before taking a seat in the blankets. The way he looks leaning against the boulder as the firelight dances across his chest has me completely forgetting about food.