74 Talk

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Have you hit the follow button on my profile? If not, what are you waiting for??? Don't miss out on big announcements like the one posted earlier today!

My mood lifts further as I feel Chris walk back into the room. I can't suppress my smile as I lock eyes with him. My heart beat falters as his conflicted state washes over me. I can feel his emotions rolling within him and they just feed my nerves.

"What's wrong Chris?" I ask, with an edge of fear in my voice. Emotionally, his entrance feels like whiplash as I  go from such a happy high to the edge of panic so quickly.

He sighs, gathering his thoughts and walks over to the edge of my bed. "We need to talk..." he replies with a frown.

"T-talk?" I stammer as my emotions threaten to take over. Already I feel my eyes start to burn and his concerned face blurs as they begin to water.

"Shhh baby," Chris coos, sitting on the edge of my bed and cupping my cheek with his warm palm. "I just... I have some things to tell you and I don't know how you'll handle them."

"What do you mean?" I ask, furrowing my brows. I try and read him, to figure out what he's worried about but all I feel is guilt and fear. "Chris, just tell me!"

"I need you to hear me out fully, and know just how much I love you-"

My chest tightens at his words as a million different scenarios run through my mind, everyone spiking my anxiety further and further. My mind focuses on the worst possibility first and I cut in, "Was there someone else?"

My heart hurts to ask, but I have to.

Why else would he say that?! Want me to hear him out and remember that he loves me...

"What?! No! Why would you think that?!" Chris gasps, his face contorted in a mix of disgust and shock.

"Why else would you say that?" I ask, feeling my eyes burn. Waves of emotion, uncertainty and anxiety from me and mass confusion from Chris crash into each other and wash over me, overwhelming me to the point I can't tell what comes from Chris and what are my own.

"Baby no, never!" He says, scooping me up and pulling me onto his lap. Tears well in my eyes and threaten to spill over at any moment. "Don't cry Jess." Both his hands tenderly caress my cheeks, brushing away stray tears as quickly as they form.

Frustration wells in me at my volatile emotions. 

I've never been so wishy-washy, and now I seem to break down at the drop of a hat.

"I don't know what's wrong with me," I wail, struggling to reel in my emotions. My heart feels like it's doing flips as I sniffle, trying to stifle my sobs with raspy breaths. 

He hasn't even said anything yet and I'm breaking down into a hot mess.

"I do," he whispers. 

His words shock me, drawing an involuntary flinch as I pull back to look at him and his hand leaves my cheek. My lip quivers as my body prepares to crumble further. But when I look into his eyes, they are full of nothing but love and tenderness.

"Jess, it's happy news really, something to be celebrated," Chris starts, bringing a hand to caress my cheek. "Our family is growing."

His gentle, hopeful voice and endless love feeding back through the bond are pushing my fear and uncertainty back but his vague words leave me confused. I furrow my brow as I try and focus on what he's saying, or rather what he’s implying.

"Baby, you're pregnant," he clarifies, catching onto my confusion.

"W-what?!" I stammer. 

My eyes go impossibly wide and I start to tremble in his arms.