73 Critical

Chris POV

"Who?" I ask as my mouth instantly parches.

Doc takes a deep breath as his frown deepens and his eyes swirl with concern. "Xavier."

My heart stops as he says someone's name so close to me. He's been a fixture in my life since we were young, training together, and only got closer when my parents were murdered. Xavier was a natural choice for my third in command when Derek took off, dumping the pack on me.

My own Delta and friend, and I'm just finding out now?

"Is he?" I whisper, unable to say the words.

"Critical," Doc assures me. "Mira, Sasha, and Willow have been working non stop in the critical ward, they are sure they've got everyone out of danger."

I let out a shaky breath as I sag against the desk. That near miss rocks me to my core, but a war this big is bound to have casualties and no one is safe.

"Best if you see for yourself," Doc suggests, tilting his head towards the other in-tact hospital ward. 

I nod in agreement and follow him into the hospital’s dark, quiet ward for the critical/long-term care. Six beds are spread out over the wall furthest from the door. Ceiling-to-floor curtains are drawn between the beds, offering a small amount of privacy from everyone’s distant neighbours. Dark curtains are drawn over the windows and my eyes shift to the overhead lights that are completely shut off.

"We keep the lights low here since it keeps the patients calmer and aids in their recovery," Doc offers, having picked up on my curiosity. "The bulk of the medical staff are working here, monitoring and doing everything we can to help them pull through."

He leads me over to the right corner, where all I can see in the dark is a man who lays in the bed, hooked up to numerous IVs and monitors, and a woman sits slumped over his bedside.

"Claire," I whisper in realization as we get close enough.

Her puffy, tear-stained eyes lock on mine as they instantly well once more. I close the gap as she gets up, throws her arms around my neck, and surrenders to the sobs that wrack her body.

"I'm so sorry," I murmur, rubbing circles on her back to soothe her. "I should have come sooner."

She pushes back and her dark eyes flash me a disapproving look. "You were exactly where you needed to be," she replies adamantly. "Jess needed you just like he needs me, we're both where we are needed."

Her gaze softens and goes once more to her unconcious mate. She slips out of my arms and back into her seat, lacing her delicate fingers once more in his large hand. He stirs slightly at the contact, groaning as he fights his deep slumber.

I step beside her, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder as I take him in. He looks like hell with thick swaths of bandages across his abdomen and throat.

He must be part cat because this looks like it used up one of his nine lives. 

"It's not as bad as it looks," she says, eyeing my concern. "These damn pregnancy hormones have me crying at the drop of a hat."

I chuckle slightly as she huffs and wipes her face like a stubborn child. Her brow shoots up at my reaction in warning, stopping me on the spot.

"Something funny?" She asks, shifting gears. Her irritable tone is enough to make me want to step back.

'So, pregnancy hormones, eh?' Cyrus mumbles.

'Yup, we're fucked, Jess is gonna kill us by the time she's full term,' I reply with a nervous laugh.