24 Embrace

I couldn't get out of there fast enough! It wasn't Kanes fault, but I was ready to snap on him because of the circumstances even though he was just trying to do what Chris asked.

Now Chris on the other hand... this was going to be ugly. He talks about equality and how shewolves are every bit as capable as males, and yet he leaves me sitting it the dark. Worse, he slipped away while my back was turned. I understand he doesn't want me in harms way, but the feeling is mutual.

"Head in the game princess," Derek whispers. "We can both beat some sense into my brother's thick skull when we are done, but for now you need to forget it all and focus on the here and now."

"Right," I admit, shaking my head as I try to clear my mind.

As we arrive the sounds of battle already in effect hits; growls, snaps, snarls but also screams. The scent is powerful also; the metallic scent of blood hangs heavy in the air as smoke wafts through from the burning buildings below.

The Central Archives are supposed to be neutral ground, off limits to all as it houses the entire race's history. The Guardians didn't believe the Council would respect this so left a small detachment. Clearly they were right to. The confusing bit is that there are council guards on both sides, making it impossible to tell friend from foe.

"What do you feel?" Garrick asks as he surveys the carnage from our ridge.

I close my eyes and push myself to my limits. There is so much at first, but slowly I pick the layers appart. Garrick is the most noise so to speak followed by Derek. Once I filter their energy out I'm able to get rid of all the other Guardians energy.

As I reach further, I hit a foriegn energy that makes me flinch back. It's two actually, remarkably different but both powerful. I don't know who, but one of the corrupt Councilors is with someone else who is equally powerful, but different.

"South side, there's a Councilor, something major is going on with someone equally as powerful," I say scrunching up my nose as I try to make sense of it all.

"You two," Garrick says, nodding at me and Mack. "Get high, if we need a quick out, get it done. Dex, your team will lead the left flank, Damon and Sadie's team will hold the right. Derek, your team is with me to the heart." The leaders nod and instantly the Guardian break off into their teams.

"Stay safe princess," Derek calls, flashing me a determined grin as he takes off after Garrick.

My heart races as I follow Mack to the south side of the ridge. I can feel that no one else around but it does nothing to calm my nerves. There's a giant oak growing over the cliffside that Mack decides will make the perfect lookout location.

The old craggy bark makes for perfect hand holds and the gnarly branches make for easy climbing. Mack points to a branch she wants me to take while she shimmies out on the one opposite. It's massive, nearly 3' in diameter and it sags far past the edge of the cliff. By the time I scoot out far enough to have an unobstructed view I'm left feeling uneasy.

I've never been afraid of heights, and have always been comfortable in tall trees, but to be sitting this far over a sheer rocky cliff has me sweating. Mack on the other hand looks as comfortable as if she's on the ground as she swings her legs like an impatient child.

"It's simple," she whispers with a mischievous grin. "Just don't fall and you're good, if you do... well there won't be anything to think of." I can't help but scrunch my face up at that logic.

'Worst pep talk ever,' Ember growls.

The ground far below is crawling with skirmishes. There are fights in nearly every street between the houses that ring the large square stone building in the middle.