67 Come What May

Chris POV

My sleep is deep and dreamless. I wake up feeling fully rested but my pitch back room tells me I'm up really early. After tossing and turning for a little longer, I give in and get ready. Cyrus paces restlessly in the back of my mind, eager to get Jess back, but the packs won't be ready to depart for hours yet.

I head out to the kitchen to see if I can scrounge up some coffee and am surprised to see the kitchen staff in full swing. The savory smell of bacon, eggs, and fresh coffee beckon me.

"Alpha," Nan says, giving me a respectful nod. She passes me a plate piled high with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash with a big mug of coffee. "Does no one in your pack sleep?"

I raise a brow at that but she already has turned back and is busy cooking. Already there are several warriors and staff eating in the common dining hall, so I head to the private hall. When I get there, I see that room’s not empty.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Jace asks. His grey eyes swirl with emotion and his plate is almost full. He looks like he holds the weight of the world on his slumped shoulders and robs him of sleep judging by the bags under his eyes.

"I feel well rested, just couldn't sleep anymore," I reply with a shrug and take a seat across from him. "You on the other hand, look like shit."

He lets out a short harsh laugh, turning his attention back to his plate. "Probably," he replies with a sigh. "But there's too much on my mind..."

"Like a certain fiesty red head?" I ask, cocking a brow.

"Among other things, but yeah," he groans, palming his forehead.

"Is she your mate?" I finally ask, tired of beating around the bush.

"I don't know," Jace mumbles. "It felt... different last time..."

Last time?! He’s never said anything about a mate before.

A dozen questions pop into my mind at once but I take a deep breath, giving him time to gather his thoughts. After a moment of silence he turns his stormy gaze to me.

"Last time?" I gasp, clearly wanting more.

"It was long ago..."

"What happened?" I ask while my eyes stretch impossibly wide. "And why didn't you say anything?" My mind reels with this revelation, how could I have no idea this happened?

"I was twenty, you had been praying for your mate forever... I didn't want to make a big deal about it," he mumbles as guilt flashes in his eyes. 

"What happened," I push.

"She rejected me," Jace replies with a frown. "She was a nice girl, but it was an arranged mating, and she wanted to do right by her pack. Jess reminded me a lot of her..."

His admission leaves me stunned. Not only did my best friend find his mate, he was rejected and suffered that alone. I remember being surprised when he asked to take Jess around. He had dated humans before, but this was the first time he had asked to bring one around our territory. When he realized my interest in her, before I admitted she was my mate, he stepped back. 

He was the first to support me and has never wavered.

"I had no idea," I whisper.

"How would you? I didn't tell anyone... I just tried my best to forget and move on," he replies with a shrug. 

"You shouldn't have had to though," I reply with a frown. I've always known Jace had a secretive streak but I had no idea how deep it ran.

"It's ancient history," he shrugs. As if to try and push the conversation away, he drops his eyes and focuses on forcing some breakfast in.