8 Dare

"I'll take her." With that simple phrase Landon cut through the crowd. No one dared to challenge an alpha, let alone one crazy enough to willingly partner with the killer Luna.

My first round of training went well enough, at least I didn't embarrass myself. I may not know what to do, but my body sure had an idea. 

Landon was no slouch, a typical Alpha, strong, confident and powerful. His moves were effortless and efficient. As we practice the combos that Sara instructs it turned out that he was a good teacher as well. Offering friendly tips and correcting my form when need be. 

Sara doesn't seem to like him, but I'm beginning to wonder if she likes anyone. She just keeps snapping at me for holding back, or that I'm faster then this, or my personal favorite, don't be so dumb.

We completed every combo she set out for us, changing rolls from attacker to defender.  I think we were the only pair that laughed during our sessions. The gossiping comments stopped or Landon distracted me from hearing them, either way it was easier to handle.

"That's enough for today," Sara calls, ending it. "Jess, a word? Alone," she says side eyeing Landon behind me.

"I'm due on patrol anyway, but I'll catch up with you for dinner maybe?" He calls as he leaves me to her.

"What are you doing with him?" She asks, cutting straight to the point. Her forwardness has caught me off guard. 

"He was the only one that would spar with me," I offered.

"Jess, don't be stupid, he's looking for more then sparring," she snaps. 

"He's just being friendly," I snap back, rolling my eyes.

"You have plenty of friends already," she challenges. She didn't bother to try and hide how she felt and was clearly judging me six ways from sunday.

"Right," I scoff. "I seem to be responsible for ending two of them and no one seems eager to share their fate," I say, bitterly.

"Stop the pity party already Jess, that's not how it went down and you know it! I'm still your friend," she adds.

"You?" I say, gaping in disbelief. 

"What's so hard to believe about that?" She snaps annoyed. 

"All you do is yell at me," I deadpan.

"What can I say, it's a complicated friendship," she says with a shrug.

"Right," I drawl. 

"Go clean up and get some lunch before we both say something we can't take back," she grits out. "Maybe instead of wrestling with Landon you should be helping Chris."

That was a low blow and she knew it, but she was right, we needed to go our separate ways before this got any uglier. Without another word I turned and made my way back to the pack house.

After a shower I went to the dining room to see what fresh torture they had for us today.  Pasta and some spicey death soup. Well I'll take it as a win. I was only too happy to see Jason sitting at a table and quickly joined him.

"Jezus, where have you been?" I asked, relieved to see him. 

"Apparently us lowly human pets can still play a trick or two, not a decent mechanic in the lot of them," he says with a cocky grin. "I may live in the garage now though?"

"I may join you," I grumble.

"Jess you have to-"

"I have to, nothing! I don't even see Chris, so I try and keep busy and get in shit for associating with the wrong people. It's annoying and exhausting!" I say as I bury my face in my hands out of frustration.