XXXlll : fault

*Dedication: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Ashton: Oh my god

Anna: what?

Ashton: can I call you?

Anna: yeah.

A couple seconds later I get a call from Ashton, worry laced within his words.

“What’s wrong?” I ask him, listening for any detail that would clue me in.

His breathing is off as he cries out. “Luke.”

My heart dropped, thinking of the worst possible situation.

I was afraid that he had done like I had.

Swallowed away his life with a bottle of pills. Jumped off a bridge, slit the fragile veins in his wrist. Found a rope and hung from the ceiling.

“What-what happened?”

Ashton sucks in a harsh breath. “He tried to get out of the deal.”

I remember how he told me how the relationship with their deal was complicated, but never did I imagine that trying to get out of the deal would make Ashton cry.

But Ashton’s cries over the phone scared me in a sense of that I didn’t know what happened to Luke and where he was.

“Ashton. Where’s Luke?”

“In the hospital.”

I dread the next question I want to ask.

“What happened?”

“He was shot. And stabbed.”

And then Ashton completely loses it.

“Anna. You don’t understand. He got us out of the deal. But he’s still in it. He’s dying Anna. He’ll always be a part of it.”

“Where are you?” I try to calm my breathing down, but the tears flowing heavily down my cheeks blind me.

“California. Anna, if I can get you on a plane, can you come here?”

I don’t even have to ask.

“Yes.”

And so that’s how I ended up on a plane, my first time out of the state of New York.

And I going to see the boy I love, die.