24. Shell Cottage

Harry's POV

"DOBBY! HELP!" I cried out.

Dobby had found himself to be collateral damage of Y/N's plan to help us all escape. I frantically tried saving him with water but it was dark magic, there was no saving him. His fate was sealed.

Dobby gave me one last look, a pained smile on his face. "Dobby is happy to be with his friend, Harry Potter."

And with that, he was dead.

There was silence as I shut his eyes before carrying his limp body. No one spoke to me as I buried him, they all watched with sad eyes. I used a rock to carve his name onto a makeshift tombstone, once I had finished I took a step back and looked at my creation.

'Here lies Dobby, a free elf.'

I took one last look at the grave of my friend, took a deep breath before turning around and walking towards the cottage.

Bill and Fleur's cottage stood alone on a cliff overlooking the sea, it was a lonely and beautiful place. Everywhere I went I could hear the tides constantly crashing against the rocks - a peaceful pattern. I spent my days following the events of Malfoy Manor admiring the cliff-top view, soaking in the vast ocean and letting the salty wind hit my face.

It wasn't until a few days later I realised I couldn't spend the rest of my days like this, I had to carry on. I had a task.

Griphook. He was the first person I was going to speak to. Bill led me to the room where the goblin resided and brought Hermione and Ron along with me. Hermione seemed to be doing better, it took us all a couple days to recover from the events. We hadn't dared to mention Y/N, we continued as if he simply didn't exist.

"You probably don't remember- " I began.

"-that I was the goblin who showed you to your vault, the first time you ever visited Gringotts?" said Griphook. "I remember, Harry Potter. Even amongst goblins, you are very famous."

I looked at him. "Well, I need some help, Griphook, and you can give it to me.

A pause. "I need to break into a Gringotts vault."

"It is impossible."

"No, it isn't," Ron contradicted him, "it's been done."

I nodded. "Yeah, the same day I first met you, Griphook. My birthday, seven years ago."

"The vault in question was empty at the time." snapped the goblin.

I could tell that the goblin was offended by our request. "Well, the vault we need to get into isn't empty, and I'm guessing its protection will be pretty powerful. It belongs to the Lestranges."

"What do you seek within the Lestranges' vault?" he asked abruptly. "The sword that lies inside it is a fake. This is the real one."

My heart was pounding, for some reason I was more nervous than I should have been. "But the fake sword isn't the only thing in that vault, is it? Perhaps you've seen other things in there?"

I had my suspicions that Voldemort had hid another Horcrux within the Lestranges' vault, I had to get in to confirm my suspicions. Griphook was silent, he didn't want to respond so I urged him for an answer. His glossy black eyes met mine.