16. Exiled And Returned

Y/N's POV

As we woke up and a new day began, we were faced with even more problems. I already had the preoccupying issue of how I was going to go back to Hogwarts and what my cover story would be. I was sure that whatever it was, Voldemort would probably believe it. He knew I was slowly turning dark and I knew he was trying to manipulate it by making me commit sinful deeds such as the murder of the Sawyer family and my father.

Hermione, Harry and I felt that it was best not to stay anywhere too long and Ron agreed - with the sole provision that their next move took them within reach of a bacon sandwich. Hermione and I, therefore, removed the enchantments we had placed around the clearing while Harry and Ron obliterated all the marks and impressions on the ground that might show we had camped here. Then we Disapparated to the outskirts of a small market town. Once we had pitched the tent in the shelter of a small copse of trees and surrounded it with freshly cast defensive enchantments. Harry and I ventured out under the Invisibility Cloak to find sustenance.

This, however, did not go as planned. We had barely entered the town when an unnatural chill, a descending mist, and a sudden darkening of the skies made Harry freeze where he stood. We decided that it was probably for the best if we returned back to Hermione and Ron.

"But you can make a brilliant Patronus!" protested Ron, when we arrived back at the tent empty handed with Harry out of breath, and mouthing the single word, Dementors.

"I couldn't...make one." he panted, clutching the stitch in his side."Wouldn't...come."

I could tell that their expressions of disappointment made Harry feel ashamed. It had been a nightmarish experience for him, seeing the Dementors gliding out of the mist in the distance.

"So we still haven't got any food." Ron said angrily.

"Shut up, Ron," snapped Hermione, "Harry, what happened? Why do you think you couldn't make your Patronus? You managed perfectly yesterday!"

"I don't know."

Ron kicked a chair leg. I glared at him.

"What?" he snarled. "I'm starving!"

"Maybe if you stopped being such a greedy pig and thought about things other than stuffing your face, you wouldn't be like this!" I retorted, anger consuming me easier than usual. Normally, I was able to control my anger better than this and be able to hide it but right now, I couldn't.

"You've got some nerve," Ron said angrily, "you show up every once in a while saying that you're trying to help us but then disappear days after to be You-Know-Who's bitch again!"

I roared. "WELL IF YOU COULDN'T TELL. I'M STILL HERE AREN'T I?"

Ron looked at me, the hunger causing him to be angry and easily irritated. "You're not doing much are you. Pathetic excuse of a wizard you are. I don't know why Dumbledore wanted you, he could've used anyone. But he chose you."

I knew he didn't mean it, and it was just his empty stomach talking but I couldn't see past it.

I charged forward but hit a Shield Charm that Hermione had cast.

"The locket!" Hermione exclaimed. "Of course!"

I looked at her, still angry. "What do you mean?"

"Take it off." she commanded and I did so and handed it to her.

Immediately, a wave of relief washed over me and I felt the anger slightly subsiding.

"Better?" Hermione asked.

I nodded. "Thanks."

I looked at Ron and was about to apologise but he wasn't having any of it.

"Did you see that!" he snarled. "He was going to attack me! He's a threat Hermione, can't you see that? I told you he's one of them now."