14. Retrieving The Locket

Y/N's POV

As soon as the name was uttered from Umbridge's mouth, my heart dropped. A familiar face stepped inside the courtroom, her face pale and terrified as she stumbled into the room.

There were more Dementors in here, casting their freezing aura over the place; they stood like faceless sentinels in the corners farthest from the high, raised platform. Here, behind a balustrade, sat Umbridge, with Yaxley on one side of her, and Hermione, quite as pale as Tabitha, on the other. At the foot of the platform, a bright silver, long-haired cat prowled up and down, and I realised that it was there to protect the prosecutors from the despair that emanated from the Dementors. That was for the accused to feel, not the accusers.

"Sit down." said Umbridge in her soft, silky voice. I clenched my fists as I looked at the woman. I looked at Tabitha although it was no use, she would not recognise me for I was in the body of another. She probably thought that I was one of the people who wished to see her exiled from the magical community, or worse.

"Your name is Tabitha Primrose Wayne?" Umbridge asked her.

Tabitha nodded shakily. I wondered why she was being trialed, I thought it was just adults being trialed in this court. Perhaps Tabitha was an exception.

"Your father is David Wayne and your mother is Alaina Wayne?" Umbridge asked.

Tabitha, again, nodded.

"All three of you went into hiding, we were only able to locate you due to the Trace. Where are your parents?"

"I don't know."

Umbridge scoffed. "Don't lie to me you pathetic-"

"-my father is a wizard and my mother is a witch." Tabitha interjected bravely.

"A wand was taken from you upon your arrival at the Ministry today, Miss Wayne," Umbridge said in her sickly sweet voice, "nine inches, pine, unicorn-hair core. Do you recognise the description?"

Tabitha nodded, obviously still terrified but trying her best to maintain herself.

"Could you please tell us from which witch or wizard you took that wand?"

"T-took?" Tabitha asked, shocked. "I didn't t-take it from anybody. I b-bought it when I was eleven, five years ago. It chose me."

Umbridge laughed a soft girlish laugh that made me want to attack her. She leaned forward over the barrier, to better to observe her victim, and something gold swung forward too and dangled over the void: the locket.

Hermione had seen it; she let out a little squeak, but Umbridge and Yaxley, still intent upon their prey, were deaf to everything else.

"No," said Umbridge, "no, I don't think so, Miss Wayne. Wands only choose witches or wizards. You are not a witch. I have your responses to the questionnaire that was sent to you here. Mafalda, pass them to me."

Hermione fumbled around to collect the document that Umbridge desired, I could see her hands shaking and I immediately wanted to place my hand over her, but it wasn't possible.

I was watching Hermione when a voice appeared behind both of us.

"I'm behind you."

Hermione jumped slightly but I remained calm, it was Harry under his Invisibility Cloak, I nodded and kept my gaze straight ahead.

"That's-that's pretty, Dolores," Hermione said, pointing at the pendant gleaming in the ruffled folds of Umbridge's blouse.

"What?" snapped Umbridge, glancing down. "Oh yes, an old family heirloom," she said, patting the locket, "the S stands for Selwyn...I am related to the Selwyns...indeed, there are few Pure-blood families to whom I am not related...a pity."