Chapter 8

I ended up putting on the stupid shirt then I had a good look around the house. I'd been here plenty of times but I'd never really had a good look.

It was really very manly. Not much of Kate anywhere to be honest and I thought that was kind of odd. Our house had my girly shit everywhere.

Our house. It wasn't our house anymore.

I sat on the couch. What was I going to do? I had my whole life planned and now, now it had been thrown back in my face.

Shit, now I was crying again and that made me angry with myself, he didn't deserve my tears.

But I sat there crying anyway that was until I heard Matt's car pull up. I quickly wiped my face but I stayed on the couch.

"Hey." He said walking in. "I grabbed stuff that I thought you'd need, but honestly Gabby I have no idea."

"Thanks Matt. Honestly whatever you got will be fine."

"I'll put it in your room."

My room....shit. Here I was staying at a friends place because my boyfriend was a cheating piece of shit.

"Gabby."

I looked around. Matt was standing there obviously waiting for me to answer a question I never heard.

"I'm sorry Matt, I wasn't listening." I might as well be honest.

"I just asked what you wanted for dinner."

"I'm not hungry." I really wasn't.

He walked over and sat next to me. "I know but you have to eat. Leave it to me, I'll think of something."

I smiled and nodded. It didn't matter what he got I still wouldn't be hungry.

"I'm going to have a shower."

I nodded again as he headed off to shower.

I needed to snap out of it. Matt had gone out of his way for me, the least I could do was be polite.

I got up and grabbed my phone, turning it back on. Eight million missed calls from Brian popped up and as I stood there looking at it it rang again.

Fuck it. I answered.

"Yes?"

"Gabby, baby, thank fuck you answered."

Baby?

"Leave me alone." I was trying to sound like I wasn't upset when in truth I was blubbering like a baby.

"Gabby please, let me explain." He said.

What?

"There's nothing to explain...."

Suddenly a hand reached out and grabbed the phone.

"Leave her alone." Matt said hanging up. "Gabby, don't answer."

"I know, I just thought....."

He nodded. "It'll be okay. Now go watch TV, I'll organise dinner."

I went back to the living room and sat on the couch. Matt hadn't given me my phone back but that was probably for the best.

I tried to concentrate on what I was watching but I kept thinking about how I was a 28 year old woman who's life plan had been shattered into a thousand pieces.

"Gabby. Gabrielle."

I looked up, Matt was standing there with a plate in his hand. He handed it to me.

Pizza. Pizza was okay.

Amazingly I was hungrier than I thought and I ended up eating two slices.

"More?" Matt asked.

I shook my head. "Thanks but I'm full."

He shrugged and went back to watching TV.

"Matt." I said softly.

He looked at me.

"Thanks again, honestly, I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't for you."

"Gabby please stop. You can stay here as long as you want and make yourself at home. I don't mind at all." He told me.

"Well." I sighed smiling. "In a week you may be sorry you said that."

"Maybe." He said smiling back at me.

Gosh, he had such a nice smile.