⊰96⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 18

Liquid silver, wolfsbane bound together with Oleander...this is what it took to weaken mom. Abigail was poisoned, a ticking time bomb under the right conditions.

That's not what killed her, but due to mom's sudden weakened state, the poison residue on Abigail's hidden blade was Arsenic. Mom couldn't heal faster than the toxicity plagued her body and killed her...

When my mom died...

...all of the memories I held when I was a very small child surfaced. The moments she showed me of love is what causes me the pain I feel with this loss. She was a horrible mother...but I never wished her dead.

My heart hurts more for my dad, because I've never seen him so distant. Everything is broken...

...our family is torn and I can't stop the tears from trailing down my cheeks as I curl up on my bed. I've never seen someone who is part of my family die. That's the thing though, she didn't just die...

...this was a planned assassination.

The burning of my mom's body was only hours earlier, after the council had been summoned and those who knew her. Grandpa Keir hasn't stopped crying, because she was his daughter.

They are all in a meeting, many urgent issues being talked about...mainly...what appears to be a war on the horizon.

There's a knock at my door and I furiously brush away the tears, composing myself as I rise off the bed before I shakily whisper, "Yes?"

When the door opens, it's Lailoken that moves into my bedroom. He takes one quick look over me before he shuts the door and crosses the distance to me. There's a tightness in my chest when I release a sob and breathe out, "Lailoken."

He draws me into his strong arms, holding me close to his chest as I begin crying all over again. It hurts because I'll never be able to reconcile with my mom, I'll never be able to tell her that I do love her, despite everything that's happened...

...my heart can't handle it and I nearly scream into Lailoken's chest.

Lailoken whispers gently to me, "Acacia, you are so strong. You are loved and don't ever think you are alone...even when you feel like you are."

I don't know what to do.

I feel so lost.

I lift my chin and meet his gaze, steadying my breathing as I say, "This game is too dangerous..."

"There is an uprise and war coming," Lailoken nods and releases a sigh, "they wanted to take out the queen, they did...yet," he pauses and kisses my forehead, "...they didn't."

"Lailoken?" I ask him with confusion.

He presses his forehead to mine and says, "You are the true queen, Acacia."

"If they could kill my mom so easily like that..." it makes me quite scared at the elaborate lengths they'd gone to ensure her death, "...I'm mortal, they don't need everything they did to Abigail to kill my mom...to kill me."

Lailoken release a breath before he states, "The royals and the council did not treat Mercury and his loyal followers as a threat and they paid for it with the Hybrid Queen's life."

"He wants what the world was once like..." my voice trails off, "...so we have to think differently?"

"Yes," he brushes the remaining tears from my cheeks, lowering his lips to mine as he whispers, "though magic is blatantly involved. You're brilliant kitten...think and tell us what you need done."