Chapter 16

I go outside and sit on a bench. How could he have a girlfriend? How could he try and replace mom? I feel weight on the bench and look over to see Dad has sat down.

"Look I know your upset but once you meet her, I think you'll really like her." I let out a groan.

He sighs and moves closer.

"I couldn't love you anymore than I already do and I loved your mom unconditionally, but don't you think it's about time I have a little happiness?"

"Do I not make you happy?" I croak out as a tear runs down my cheek. Just what I need, someone else to disappoint.

"Just the opposite. But kiddo I need a companion and Elise is.. well you'll meet her tomorrow."

"I'm just scared I'm gonna loose you."

"You couldn't if you tried." He stands up and motions for me to as well. He gives me a hug. "Now let's head home."

We park in the driveway and I hop out of the car. Dad follows behind me as I open the front door but the girl, Elise, is not here.

"Elise!" Dad calls.

"In here!" A women's voice calls. I'm not in the mood to meet Elise today at all.

"Dad I have a ton of homework to get done today. I'll see you later." He nods and I run up the stairs as he goes to look for Elise.

In my room I pull my guitar from under my bed and balance it on my lap. I strum the strings and start to sing a song I've sang way too many times.

"Maybe in another life. I could find you there. Pulled away before your time. I can't deal it's so unfair. And it feels, and it feels like. Heaven's so far away. And it feels, yeah it feels like, the world has grown cold. Now that you've gone away."

I miss my mom so much. I wish she was here with me. Right now. And I try to understand that Dad just wants happiness but this Elise will never be the mom I lost. The one I miss. The one I love.

"And it feels, and it feels like. Heaven's so far away. And it feels, yeah it feels like, the world has grown cold. Now that you've gone away."

I throw my head into my pillow and sob.

I peel my eyes open and look over at the clock. 9:35. Holy crap, why didn't Nina wake me up! I'm so late now.

I whip off my sheets and run down the stairs. On the couch is some middle-aged lady with curly strawberry red hair. She has freckles on her nose and cheeks and large red glasses. Her blue eyes are able to see from my position from the step. She has on a large t-shirt and baggy capris.

"Hi! I was waiting for you to wake up but I didn't want to bother you." She says while standing up.

"Who are you and where's Nina." I ask skepticaly.

"Oh my bad, my name is Elise." She holds out her hand but I don't bother shaking it. "Nina was told by your father to take the day off so you and I could hang out." She says excitedly. "So we could get to know each other."

"Where is Dad?" I ask. Her perky smile smile dips slightly.

"He's busy all day. He said he'll hope to be back for supper." Great, I'm stuck with this nut all day. "So I made waffles and-"

"No thanks." I interrupt. "I'm gonna go change." I run up the stairs two at a time and grab my phone and dial in the number.

"Hello?"