Chapter 14

Drew's Point of View

I follow Ashley out of the house and outside. There are paperazzi still out there.

"Why are there so many paparazzi out here?" I whisper to Ashley as they start taking pictures of us.

"My dad is coming home tomorrow. They're here to get the action."

I nod in understanding and start to walk towards my car but realize Ashley's walking towards her own car.

"Let's take my truck." I reply.

"No way am I having this argument again. You can join me if you want but I'm taking my own car." She marches over to her car and hops inside.

Girls are so cute when they're stubborn. I give in and sit next to her in the car. She presses a bottom and the ceiling retracts. She slips on a pair of sunglasses and starts the car.

"It's pretty nice, Barbie." I can't tell for sure but I think she rolled her eyes."So where to?"

"Mmm..." She drums her fingers on the steering wheel, thinking. "Oh, I know. It's not far from here." I sit back and relax as Ashley drives us to her mystery destination.

Ashley parks her car on the side of the road and gets out, and I follow suit. I don't recognize where we are. There are small cafes and shops lining the streets.

"Where are we?" I ask as we start walking.

"You've never been here?" Ashley asks in disbelief.

"Um, no. Should I have been?"

"Oh, I don't know but I come here often. It's a small tourist area with cafes and shops and antique stores. I thought it would be a perfect area to take pictures."

"How did you find out about this place?" I ask.

"Oh, uh," she looks downcast. "Just ran into it one time," she finally says. I know that's not the truth but I have no right to ask. I barely know her.

I guess it's about time we got to know each other.

"Tell me about yourself." I say randomly.

"What?"

"Tell me about yourself? If we're going to be spending time with each other I don't think you want me to think of you as 'little miss rich girl.'" She huffs.

"Yeah, I don't want that either. So, um, I'm an only child, I live with my nanny, Nina. My dad is like never home, but when he is he's always busy." She says, eyes downcast. I noticed how she didn't talk about her mom.

"What's it like to have your dad so famous?" I ask. If my parents were famous I can't help but think how awesome that would be.

"Honestly it sucks," she says. I can practically feel her anger. "So tell me about you. Besides you being a giant player."

I roll my eyes. "I'm not a giant player. Just don't like to commit to one girl. Anyways, I have a younger sister, Kora, that's seventeen and an older sister, Darbie, that's twenty. My dad is a teacher and my mom..." my voice cracks but I hold back the tears. "She's, um, unemployed." Not a full lie I guess.

"Are you and Kora like twins?"

"No. I'm eleven months older."

"I see."

"Oh and I play football and sometimes do photography." I add.

"Do you like having siblings?" She asks, voice wistful.

"Most of the time yeah. But sometimes I just want to chuck them out of the window." She lets out a small laugh. We pass by an antique store and Ashley motions for me to follow her in.

I trail behind her and look around at all the creepy dolls and lamps and dishes and picture frames.

I've never actually been really into old things. When I was younger our parents brought us to a Victorian house because they thought it would be cool. I lasted maybe two minutes before running out of the home and throwing up. I can't really describe the feeling that washes over me but whatever it is, it's strong.

I try to suppress the rising bile in my throat but it's strong. I lean against a shelf.

"Are you okay?" Ashley asks me. I manage a small nod.

"Oh my gosh, you're turning green!" I stumble out of the store and empty my stomach in a potted plant nearby.

I straighten up and spot Ashley leaning against the wall.

"What happened?" She asks walking over.

"Let's just say I don't like old things."

"You should have said so. There's plenty of other stores to look at."

"Yeah, I don't think I can go in there again."

"You're so stupid." She laughs to herself. "The guy doesn't like old things but goes into an antique store."

I chuckle at her and return to her side.

"Oo, that's so cute!" Ashley coes as we look at one of the pictures we took. We're at her kitchen table with her laptop between us.

The picture is of a baby and her mother dressed in the same outfit to fit the description of mother daughter as opposites.

Nina walks into the room as we continue to look at the picture.

"Ashley, I made pasta while you were gone. Drew, your welcome to stay."

I can't help but notice how Ashley's eyes go big while she looks at the plate of pasta now sitting before her. She looks over at me and does a silent plea.

"Thanks Nina, but Drew and I ate while we were out." Um, no we didn't. "I was just walking Drew out now. Come on." She stands up and I follow suit, grabbing my camera on the way out. Once we're outside I turn to face her.

"What was that?" I ask. "Are you like trying to avoid meals or something." Ashley's face brightens up with humour.

"Of course not. I just hate her pasta. It tastes like cardboard. And the seasoning she uses is gross." Oh, that made more sense. Why do I always jump to conclusions? Just like Saturday, at the beach.

"Oh, sorry." I apologize.

"It's fine. See you tomorrow I guess."

"Yeah." I hop in my car and drive away.