Chapter 27

"Are you sure you're alright?" Amy asked Liann, as she caught her rubbing her forehead again.

"Huh? Ya, I think so. I... Let's just get there quickly, now! I don't think I can take the pain any longer," Liann moaned. Amy would've offered to drive instead but she didn't have a license and she had no idea of how to drive so Amy knew she would most probably cause a car accident than help Liann.

When the car finally stopped in the side of a road that was surrounded on both sides by rows of houses, Amy almost jumped out of her seat.

"Where is this lady?" she asked Liann, who was clutching her forehead, groaning with severe pain.

With trembling hands, Liann pointed at a pink house in the middle of the other houses, making immediately run to that house and hurriedly press the bell multiple times.

An old lady resting most of her frail body on a walking stick opened the door. "What is the hurry?" she asked in a soft voice that almost sounded... fake?

"My friend... She has a horrible headache. I thought you might have the medicine needed to cure her," Amy said quickly, glancing back at Liann, who had her head on the steering wheel, almost as though she had fainted or something. Amy's heart started hammering rapidly in her chest.

The old woman nodded and briefly glanced at the girl in the car. "Hmm... I think I have something that might help," she said, leading Amy into her house.

Within a few minutes, Amy was running to the car, a packet of faint purple powder in one hand, and a bottle of water in the other. She almost thought she saw Liann using her phone as she ran back but blamed it as hallucination due to panic.

"You're supposed to mix a bit of the powder with the water and slowly sip it," she told Liann as she handed her the items once she was in the car.

Liann nodded weakly, before taking the powder and mixing it completely with the water.

Amy's eyes widened. "You're not supposed to mix it completely!" she almost yelled, only to find that Liann had chugged down around half the bottle before she had heard her warning.

Amy groaned. What were they going to do now? The old lady had given Amy specific instructions with her stern grey eyes narrowing at her all the while, Do not mix everything! Only a bit!

Amy knew that Liann will definitely get worse because of taking in the powder. She didn't know what she could do. Unless...

"Wait a second..." Amy said, running out of the car and ringing the bell of the old lady's house again. Nothing happened. Amy could not even hear footsteps of the old lady, or the tapping of her wooden stick coming nearer to the door.

Amy rang the bell again. Still, it seemed like no one was coming to get the door. In a desperate attempt, Amy tried to twist open the door, only to find that it was already unlocked.

Panicked with worry for her friend, Amy scoured through the entire house, only to find no trace of the woman.

Bathrooms? Check. Bedrooms? Check. Kitchen? Check. Backyard? Check. Basement? Check. Attic? Check.

There was nowhere else that she could go and find the lady. It was as though she had disappeared from the face of the earth.

Amy ran back to the car, panting the entire way. She could see Liann's ears slowly turning red, a sign that she was getting more unwell by each minute. However, her face suddenly looked perfectly fine, as though she never had a headache in the first place. Amy knew better than that!