Chapter 26

Months passed by. With every passing hour, Amy felt more at home in the pack house and she missed her parents lesser. Not because she was too overwhelmed by the care in the packhouse that she forgot about her parents. No, it was because she was too busy to even think about them in the first place.

Perhaps pleading to go to school was not the best option, Amy had realised in the few months she had been here. She hadn't known how much work a Beta female had to do, let alone one, who needed to complete all her projects and homework from school at night.

"Liann," Amy called out, grinning over the pile of papers sitting at her desk as she watched Liann walk pass her temporary –soon to be permanent– 'office'.

Amy was tired of all the work she had been given within a few days. She wondered how Sam had been able to cope with all these paperwork, along with training all the pups to fight, while he still had to go to school.

Sure, it was not like Sam dumped all this responsibility on her and walked away from it, grinning like a buffoon. No, he did help as much as he could. He did most of her work and tried to help her cope with her new environment.

Amy had also heard Zach shouting at Sam a couple of times for not letting her be independent and doing her things herself. Of course, Amy did feel bad for Sam, but had Zach expected her to just suddenly become the ideal Beta female within a few weeks? Nonsense!

"Oh, hey Amy," Liann replied weakly, rubbing her forehead.

"Are you alright?"

"No, not really. I was going to get some medicine for myself. There's an old lady in the pack who sells herbal medicines. I heard they are a miracle so I thought I'll go try to them out," Liann said. Then, she looked at Amy properly and tried to smile. "Do you want to come with me? You look like you need a break."

Amy grinned as she rid herself of the paper and started walking out of the room with Liann. "Yes, please. Oh goodness, I'm going to go crazy under the paperwork. Who knew that the Beta female had to do so much paperwork? I thought I'd just have to stand beside Sam and be an ideal mate. I didn't know all of this would actually be so stressful!"

"Do you regret it, though?" Liann asked, not realising that Sam was near them, perfectly in distance to hear their conversation.

"Oh no! I don't! I mean, yes, the piles of papers I have to go through everyday is giving me a headache but Sam has been so helpful in the past few months that I can't ask for more. Plus, we've become so much more closer, even though it was originally because of the load of paperwork we had to sort through. He doesn't even stutter around me anymore! I mean, I do wish that I didn't have to be part of the pack house in the kind of situation that I was in but it could have been worse. Right?" Amy said, with a content grin on her face.

"Well, yes, that's true. I'm glad to hear that things are faring better for you. If you need any help though, I can help. I mean, I used to help Sam's mother sometimes, so I know how all of this works," she offered.

Amy grinned. "Really? Well, I will love it if you could. Of course, when you get better, that is. Still, imagine the fun we would have doing it together!"

Then, a voice in her head said, But, you won't be able to spend time with Sam then. Do you really want that?

Amy frowned. She did enjoy spending time with Sam, and the special moments they had in the room with no one else in sight. Did she really want to give that up?