Chapter 10

"Are you done?" Jared asked, annoyed at the laughter that was going on for the past few minutes.

Amy smiled. "Nope," she said but she stopped laughing.

She just loved seeing Jared get angry. It always was a comical sight. His ears and nose would turn red and his cheeks would get flushed. Amy wouldn't have been surprised if steam started escaping through his ears. The thought made her giggle softly.

Jared scowled before opening the door and jumping out of his seat. He started walking on the road. Amy looked at where they had stopped. It was a long road with forest on both sides. The looming trees sent shivers running through Amy's spine and she unlocked the door before running after Jared.

"Sorry, Jared! I shouldn't have laughed at you! Don't leave me here!" she yelled, running to Jared. He paid no attention to her and continued to walk ahead.

Amy panted heavily once she reached Jared. "I said, I am sorry. Please, let's just go home," she begged.

Jared turned to look at her with his eyebrows raised. "Umm... Amy? That is exactly what I am doing." Pointing in front of him towards the blurry outline of a mansion on their left, he said, "The pac– I mean, family house is right there. It will just take us about five minutes to reach."

Amy nodded, looking around her in fear. The trees swayed above her, almost as though they were going to fall on her. The strong wind rushed past her making her shiver and stick her hands inside the pockets of her sweater. Chirps of the birds and the rustles behind the bushes made her huddle closer to Jared.

The forest was scary. It didn't seem like a beautiful place of nature that she had thought it would be when she first arrived. Instead, it looked like the lair of all kinds of dark creatures and monsters that would not hesitate to kill her once they smelled her scent.

Gulping, she looked at her feet as she concentrated on getting to the family house. The forest made her feel vulnerable, a feeling she hated having and she took longer and quicker steps. Jared must've also felt that sense of fear wash over him, for he was walking just as quickly as Amy was, maybe even faster.

What was a journey of five minutes felt like it took days before they found themselves at the gate of the mansion. Amy had always been surprised at the huge size of the house. It held about fifteen families and was about four stories high. The mansion stood proudly, painted the exact shade of blood and was called 'The Red Crescent House'.

Amy let out a breath of relief as she came closer to the entrance of the mansion. It had always made her feel safe and she remembered playing 'hide-and-seek' around it, finding the most creative places to hide.

Despite trying her best to hide herself where no one could see her, her cousins always used to manage to find her. Whenever she asked their secret to it, they said they recognised her 'scent'. Till now, Amy didn't exactly understand what they meant by it.

Entering the house felt as though she had returned home after a few years. Her entire family crowded around the loving room, some sitting on the couches and the floor, others standing near the fireplace or the door.

The moment Jared and her came through the door, everyone stood up and rushed to them. After hugging them and giving them countless kisses, they started talking all at once.

"Why did you all take so long?"

"We were so worried."

"Did you hear about the rouges?"

"Lily and Edmund were almost panicking!"

"Isn't it horrible? What if they come after us next?"