Chapter 22

"Sit," Amy's grandmother said firmly, her hands tucked on her lap.

Both Jared and Zach took a seat on either side of Amy, who was sitting on the other end of the table, far from Amy's grandmother. Amy smiled internally. She could see the fear the both of them had of her grandmother in their eyes.

Sam stood behind Zach, ready to defend his mate or Alpha, depending on the circumstances. Sitting at one end of the table, it was clear that Amy's grandmother was the one who had the power at the moment.

"Amy dear, I'll let you do all the talking," her grandmother said, passing the reins to Amy.

Amy nodded before taking a deep breath and starting the speech that she had rehearsed in her mind.

"I am not going to sugarcoat my words. Both of you are being exceedingly foolish," she said nonchalantly. The two Alphas growled at her, baring their teeth in anger. They did not appreciate the disrespect and their wolves were motivated to end Amy's life within that second.

Amy let out a frustrated breath before softening her tone. "Look, this war that you both have called is a terrible idea. I don't need anyone to fight over me. I have the right to choose which pack I want to be with and which pack it is that I want to cut ties with," she said.

Jared raised an eyebrow. "Don't even think of leaving our pack. Our blood flows in you. You can't leave us for," he paused to sneer at Sam, "him."

Zach narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean? Sam is more capable of taking care of Amy than you would ever be. Amy deserves to be with her mate, not a control freak like you," he gritted out.

Before Jared could say anything else, Amy intervened, "Guys, stop it! You don't get to decide who can take care of me better. I do! It is my life and the choice should be left to me! My only request to the both of you is to call of the war."

Jared shook his head, stubbornness and rage in his eyes. "No way! I am not going to let some guy take you away, Amy! Especially one that doesn't even deserve you!"

Zach let out a sharp breath. "As though you care that much about her. Sam is her rightful mate and she belongs with him. You can't just lock her away from him. Don't be a control freak," he said, making Jared's face start to flush with anger.

"She is my cousin and I can do whatever I like to her. Rightful mate or not, she shouldn't have to leave our pack!" Jared insisted, his voice laced with venom.

"You know what," Zach started, "you are so selfish that you won't even let your cousin be with her mate. Don't worry, after two days, we will see which pack actually deserves to have her."

Amy rolled her eyes. Both the Alphas were acting like children. "Can you hear yourselves speak?" Amy asked, frustrated with the way the two so-called 'responsible and mature' men were dealing with the matter. "You both are Alphas and I get that you are more proud and mighty than most of the people in your pack. But, seriously, hear yourselves! This is not you talking, it's your ego! You both are not fighting over me. In fact, the real reason why you are fighting is so that you can show who is more stronger. And that is a stupid reason to fight for!" she yelled, her face flushed with irritation and her hands clenched on her lap in annoyance.

Zach narrowed his eyes at her. "You may be the Beta Female of my pack but you have no right to talk to me like that," he snarled.

Jared scowled. "Don't threaten her! She is not part of your pack and I'll make sure that she will never be!" he announced.

Amy held a hand in front of them to stop their argument. "Stop it! Why aren't you both listening to me? This should be my choice, not yours. I don't want this war to happen and I am pretty sure that if the two of you were being rational, even you wouldn't want it! Come on, you both have been Alpha for only a year. The pack may trust you enough to choose you as their leader but till now, have you even done anything to show that they trusted the right person? By this war, you will lose pack members. Innocent people will get killed! Are you going to risk people's lives because of your ego? Just to prove that you are stronger?"