Chapter 13

Amy looked at her mother who was busy cooking breakfast for the family.

"Do I really have to go to school?" she asked. "I mean, I don't think I have recovered yet," she said as she clutched her forehead, biting her lip as another wave of dizziness hit her.

Her mother looked up at her, a concerned look in her eyes. "I know, sweetheart. You haven't recovered but it is really important for you to go to school. Your health will get worse if you don't go," she said.

"What? Is there some kind of magic in the air of the school that I would only get better if I go there?" A frustrated breath escaped her and Amy fought the urge to go back to her room and curl up under her blanket.

The cold wind rushed through the room and Amy shivered. Despite the kitchen seeming warm enough for anybody to comfortably sit in, Amy was freezing. It was a clear indication that she still had the fever. Along with the mental jabs, that had now become a constant occurrence, she couldn't help but not want to go to school at all.

"No, sweetheart, there is no magic in the air in your school," her mother replied, before taking in a shaky breath. "I am not supposed to tell you this but since you are already going to find out, there is no use in hiding it. This fever you are having, it is because of your mate. You found your mate in school but I think you didn't acknowledge him or something so you are suffering. The only way you would actually recover is by meeting your mate again and this time, accepting that he, or she, is your mate."

"Mate? You mean, werewolf?" Amy asked, her head spinning in confusion. She had read books about werewolves and she knew all about mates but it was impossible that she, plain old Amy the human, actually had a mate. After all, she was only a human!

"Yes, sweetheart," her mother said before turning to flip the meat on the pan.

A sudden thought came to Amy. "Does Uncle Noah know about the werewolves here?" she asked.

Her mother shook her head. "No, he doesn't. Promise me you won't tell him either. We will tell him at the right time," Lily replied.

Amy nodded. "Okay." Even though her reply seemed short and annoyed, Any was glad that at least one of the people, who she considered as her family, did not keep secrets from her.

Amy stood in front of her locker, her head already reeling from the amount of walking she had done in the day till now. Throughout the past two weeks, she had mostly laid in bed. To start walking all of a sudden made her temperature increase and she clutched her aching head.

As she looked into the mirror of her locker, Amy found herself smelling the scent of pines and her head stopped spinning. A sense of calm washed over her and she closed her eyes in content.

A smile graced her face and Amy turned around, curious to see the guy with green eyes. He was the only person in the school who smelled like that and Amy was sure that the mate she had not acknowledged, or whatever her mother was saying, was him.

However, to Amy's surprise, he was nowhere in sight when she opened her eyes. Instead, Liann stood in front of her, a grin on her face and a pile of books in her hand.

"You finally came to school!" she stated, "I thought you ran away from town because you found me too creepy!"

Amy blinked. What was Liann talking about? Creepy? "I am sorry, what?" she asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Nothing! Whatever! I am just glad you came back! It's been too long since —" Liann murmured something under her breath but Amy failed to hear it.

Sucking in a deep breath, Amy looked at Liann before asking, "Um, Liann? Are you a werewolf?"

It seemed like time stopped. Liann's mouth hung wide open and everybody stopped in their tracks. The seconds ticking on her watch seemed too slow and the books falling from Liann's hand took hours to reach the ground.