Chapter 8

Holy chocolate ice cream on lemon sticks!! We are over 300 reads!! Thank you all so much!! Here's an early update just for that!!! (Please excuse my excessive use of exclamation marks. I am just too happy!!!)

Zach looked at Sam, concerned about the condition of his best friend after his mate stormed off. He put a hand on Sam's shoulder and asked, "Are you okay?"

Sam wasn't. They both knew that. Sam was still crushed by the fact that his mate was disappointed in him. He couldn't imagine why. Maybe he was not good enough for her. Maybe she did not think him worthy enough to be her mate. Sam didn't want to think about it though. As he thought about every reason why his mate reacted like she did, he felt more worse than before.

He shook his head slightly. He had to stop thinking about it. Looking at Zach, he said, "I'm fine. Let's go to class."

Zach could see the frown on his best friend's face but did not comment on it. He knew Sam did not want anyone asking him about what happened. Taking in a deep breath, both of them walked towards their class.

Zach turned the knob and pushed the door open. The teacher, who had been speaking to the rest of the class, stopped his sentence halfway and turned to the two latecomers.

"You both are late again!" he said, narrowing his eyes at them. Zach narrowed his eyes back, his Alpha authority making the human teacher freeze and turn back to the class.

"Just take a seat," the teacher continued.

Sam nodded and sat in the middle row, the only place where there were empty seats. Zach slid in into the chair beside him.

Staring absentmindedly at the board, Sam could not bring himself to understand anything Mr. Thomas was talking about. His mind went back to the abnormal behaviour of his mate. Maybe she was not happy with him because he did not understand what she was trying to tell him through her eyes.

Sam groaned. Did being mates with someone mean you need to understand the language of their eyes? Sam had never been able to do that.

He could remember year ago, when Zach used to try to tell him through his eyes to lie to the alpha that they had gone out for a run, when they had actually gone to search for wondering rogues in the forests. Even then, Sam had no idea what Zach was trying to say and he still did not understand the language of the eye till now.

The teacher heard Sam's groan and raised an eyebrow. "Sam Willow, are you getting bored in my class?" he asked arrogantly.

Sam's eyes widened. He shook his head slowly, gulping at the teacher's fierce tone. Softly, he choked out a "No, sir."

The teacher narrowed his eyes at him before turning back to the board and continuing his lesson.

Sam heard a scoff from behind him. "He is so scared of everything. Wonder who made him the Beta. Must be because he is Zach's best friend," he heard Jared, the alpha of Red Crescent pack, say arrogantly.