Chapter 18

Later did not come. When Amy went for break, she did not see Sam anywhere in the school. Even his wondrous scent hung stale in the air. It was almost as though he had bunked school.

The thought made Amy smile. Bunk school and Sam? Never. He was too much of a goody-two-shoes to even think about such a thing. Then, she frowned.

How could she assume that? Sam was shy, that she knew, but he had never actually stated that he was a goody-two-shoes. Being shy did not equal to to being someone who never went out of line. For all she knew, Sam could be bunking school everyday.

That thought made her grin. Sam bunking school everyday would be a sight to see. Amy wondered if he would take her along on one of his sneaking-off-from-school adventures one day. Probably the day when he gets comfortable enough to talk to her without hesitation. Amy smiled at the ground. That would be a wonderful day.

Throughout the day, Amy did not catch even a glimpse of Sam. Yet, when she was getting out of school once the bell rung, he stood at the gates, leaning against it as cars rushed past him.

As soon as she stepped out, Sam looked at her before striving towards her. Amy smiled. She had been sullen the entire day, probably the effect of not being close to Sam. At lunch, she had been extra grumpy and almost took out her frustration on Liann when she asked Amy if she could have one of her fries.

Amy felt guilty. She had been angry and clearly shocked her new friend. She just hoped Liann would forgive her for it. She would've gone and apologised but the lack of Sam's presence made her unbelievingly proud and arrogant, as well as upset. There was no way her pride would have allowed her to beg Liann for forgiveness.

Looking at Sam now, though, all her grumpiness melted away. It felt like, once where there were countless rhinos, stomping in anger, was replaced with butterflies in her stomach, carefully fluttering their wings and making tingles crawl up her spine.

"Hey Sam," Amy greeted when he got close enough. His scent washed over her, making a wave of calmness settle deep within her.

"Um... Hi," Sam said, giving her a nervous smile.

"Where were you the entire day? I didn't see you around," Amy asked. To a passerby, she would just sound like a curious person but deep inside her, she was dying to know the answer.  

Was he out with Zach? Did he bunk school alone? Was he with someone else? Who could he be with? Was it his girlfriend? How was that possible, though? Wasn't she his mate?

"Just hanging around," Sam said, wincing as the words tumbled out of his mouth. "I wanted to ask you if we could change the tutoring to today. I know you can't but I hope you will... uh... reconsider. Because I can't do it tomorrow," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Amy resisted the urge to grin at him like a maniac. He was so adorable and even though she was completely exhausted, she didn't mind studying some more if it meant that she could spend some time with Sam.

"Sure. Let me just call Uncle Noah to tell him to pick me up later," Amy said.

"Um... I can drop you instead?" San said but it sounded more like a question. He looked down at the ground, a pale blush coating his cheeks. Why did he even ask her that? It was too fast!

Amy bit her lip, trying to contain her happiness. "Okay," she mumbled before turning back and walking into the school. She stopped when she realised that Sam was not following her.

She turned around, only to find him staring at where she was once standing, his eyes wide in shock and his blush a shade darker than what it before.