Chapter 20 || Rooting for ya

||Y/N's Point Of View||

Finally it was the day we were anticipating for months. Our practice and training led up to this very tournament.

The team had gotten much better compared to last year's tournaments. We seemed to shred that naivety we carried along with us and replaced it with pure confidence. We were going to make it all the way.

I was proud of how far we've come. I couldn't have asked for more effort from any of the guys. It was really going to pay off.

"Rest up guys, we've got a big day tomorrow!" Gou announces.

We were currently at our hotel where most of the competing swim teams were staying.

"Yeah yeah! It's only ten!" Nagisa whines.

"You need all the sleep you can get!" She scowls.

"Okay, okay," Rei tries disarming her temper.

"Lay off, would ya sis?" Rin Ruffles his little sister's hair.

"Stop that!" Gou yells at him.

I laugh to myself. This was one way to surely calm our nerves.

"We'll be fine Gou," Makoto offers her a warm smile.

She just pouts at him.

I look over to Haru, who's expression seemed the same it always had been.

"You okay?" I ask the boy.

"Mhm," He keeps his eyes away from mine.

"Nervous?"

My expectation is for him to say no. Hell, he was never nervous about these things.

"Yeah." My mind rattles at his one word answer.

"Really?" The insensitive response fumbles from my mouth.

He shrugs his shoulder, keeping quite.

"Don't shut me out Haru. Please talk to me," I plead.

He never talked about his feelings toward anything. He always stayed silent, so you can imagine how big of a deal this was that he was about to open up.

He takes a sigh, "It's just a lot of pressure. I don't want to mess up, because if I do I'll mess it up for the team."

I hadn't realized he felt that way...

"You'll do fine," I smile to him. "Don't think about it too much. Besides scouts are going to come crawling to you either way."

"I don't care about them. I don't swim for them, I swim for me. And my friends."

"There's the Haru I know and love," I pat his back.

Haru cracks a slight smile, "Thanks (Y/N)."

~*~

It was the next morning and races started soon. Last night was a restless night for me. I couldn't get any sleep at all so I was really tired.