Chapter Twenty-Eight

I should be happy for Daniel, but I've been counting down the hours until the party ends and it only officially started about forty minutes ago.

The doorbell rings, again, and I'm consumed by dread. I hardly know any of these people yet they're walking around my house and I feel so judged.

I pull on a smile before opening the door.

Craig forces a smile as he holds up a party bag with a bottle of wine poking out of it.

"Happy housewarming," he murmurs. "I was going to buy you a pot plant, but I thought you'd appreciate this much more."

He hands me the gift bag, and I peer inside and find a bottle of wine I adore.

"Thanks, I could do with a good drink."

"How's Noah?"

"He's probably getting bored but very excited to see you."

"I'm excited to see the dinosaur room he's been talking about for weeks. Perhaps you two need to re-design Noah's bedroom at my house, then maybe he'll sleep in his own bed."

"It's a good night if Noah sleeps in his own bed." I lazily roll my eyes. "I think with moving house and Daniel moving in, he's a bit unsettled at night."

"Does he sleep in your bed?"

"Some fights aren't worth the battle." I sigh.

I step aside and Craig walks inside the house.

"Welcome to our little humble abode. There's drinks and snacks in the kitchen, which is where all the noise is coming from."

"Thanks." He nods.

I close the front door and turn to see Noah standing across the room. A huge smile appears on his face and he goes running into Craig's arm.

"Daddy," he shouts.

Craig scoops him up and ruffles his fingers through his hair.

"Hi buddy, I've missed you."

Noah nuzzles into Craig's chest and he squeezes him. He leans back and the smile is even bigger on Noah's face.

"I have dinosaurs in my room," Noah says.

"And what else do you have in your bedroom?" I ask.

"Mummy got me a big boy bed."

"Do you sleep in your big boy bed?"

"No." He chuckles.

"At least you're honest," Craig sighs.

Craig settles Noah on his feet, then allows him to drag him down the passage and to his bedroom. Daniel catches me lingering in the entry and wanders over to take my hand.