Chapter Twenty-Two

Daniel's Point of View

"Are you nervous?" Henry plonks onto one of the pool chairs and lounges out. He runs his fingers through his hair with a carefree smile.

"Yes." I gulp.

My stomach has been in knots since the morning. I'm excited for Ellie to meet my parents and hopefully progress our relationship forward.

Clara wanders over and takes a seat at the end of Henry's pool chair.

"Don't be nervous! Ellie's an amazing woman, I'm sure she'll easily win your parents over."

"Have you told Mum Ellie is a single mother?" Henry chuckles.

"No." I frown.

"Daniel!" Clara gasps. "How come you haven't told her?"

"I." I sigh. "I don't know how to tell her."

"So you're going to let Ellie wander in her with her child and spring this information on her? You better march your butt inside and tell your mother. You don't want her accidentally saying the wrong thing."

"You're in trouble either way." Henry laughs.

I shove Henry's shoulder and shoot him a glare.

"I don't know how you put up with him, Clara." I roll my eyes.

She rubs his shoulder but shakes her head. I can still see the adoration glowing in her eyes.

The knot in my stomach only tightens as I walk into the kitchen. She looks up from the chopping board and meekly smiles.

"Is your girlfriend here?"

"She's on her way, so she should be here soon."

She wanders away from her spot to walk around the counter. She strokes my cheek with the back of her hand.

"Why are you so nervous?"

"Because." I linger on the last letter.

"Because? Because what?"

My gaze flickers around the room and I source the courage to tell her.

"Daniel, you can tell me anything."

"I'm nervous because." My heart is racing and my palms are sweating.

"Because? The suspense is going to send me to an early grave." She sighs.

"Because Ellie's a single mother."

"Daniel." She frowns.

"Just give Ellie a chance before you judge her for being a single mother. Not everyone gets the fairy tale ending like you and Dad have."

"If she means this much to you, I'll give her a chance but darling."

"Please don't." I frown. "She's honestly an amazing person and if I wasn't serious about her, I wouldn't have taken time to get get to know her little boy or introduce her to the family. So keep that in mind. She means a lot to me."