Chapter Twenty-Six

"How was your day baby?"

Noah runs around Craig's living room with the phone, so all I can see is the roof and the tips of his fingers. He drops the phone and then his cheeky face looms over the screen as he picks it up. I hope Craig has a good case on his phone!

"We went to the park," he cheers. "We ate ice cream."

"What kind of ice cream did you get?"

"Strawberry," he screams.

Craig must take the phone because it's propped up against something and I can see Noah sitting on the living room floor with a pile of dinosaurs around him. He's dressed in new pyjamas and he's glowing with happiness.

"My new dinosaurs." He grins.

This kid is wired with energy and I don't think Craig has the slightest clue of what he's gotten himself into. Noah's happy, so that's all that matters.

"I love you, Noah."

"Say goodnight to Mummy 'cause we still need to brush your teeth and read bedtime stories."

"Aww," Noah grumbles.

"Come and say goodnight."

Noah crosses his arms and turns around.

Craig turns the camera to himself and sighs.

"We should probably hang up so I can get him ready for bed. I'll call if there are any problems though," he comments.

"Call anytime if there's a problem and I'll come straight over."

"I'm sure we'll be fine." Craig smiles.

"Yes, I'm sure too." I nod.

"Okay, goodbye."

I wave goodbye and end the phone call.

Is it wrong to admit that some part of me hoped Noah would be upset and I'd have to go and get him? But he's happy and it's good Craig is spending time with Noah. I've been fighting with Craig for years to show some interest in his own child.

I drop the phone in my lap and glance at Daniel who's sitting beside me on the couch. I look around at the living room which is perfectly clean, with no toys or cheeky toddler creating chaos.

It feels empty without him.

Daniel loops his arm around my shoulder and tugs me against his chest. He kisses my temple, then I snuggle into his warmth. His hug is slightly comforting but it doesn't quite take all the worry away.

"Would you like some ice cream? I hear it makes everything better," he whispers, his breath tickling my cheek.

"No, but I need a distraction."

Daniel rubs my shoulder and squeezes it.

"We can continue unpacking? There's still heaps of boxes in the spare bedroom. Perhaps this place might feel less empty once we've unpacked all your things. We can even go shopping tomorrow for decor."