Chapter Twenty-Five

"Can we go to the park?" Noah asks

"Your Dad is expecting us soon," I comment.

"Can we get strawberry ice cream?"

"Maybe you can have ice cream for dessert, but only if Daddy says you've been good."

"Ugh," he groans. "I want ice cream now."

"Well, we can't have everything we want," I mutter under my breath.

I knew entering toddlerhood would be challenging, but I didn't realise just how hard it would be. I'm scared of what the teenage years will bring but lucky for me, I won't be battling those alone.

As I pull into Craig's driveway, he walks outside to greet us. I cut the engine and inhale a breath before unbuckling my seatbelt and stepping outside. A cool breeze rustles through my hair, cooling my flushed cheeks.

I have a million thoughts racing through my mind and a stir-crazy toddler demanding to be set free. Thank goodness he's with his father for a couple of hours today. I open the door and unbuckle Noah's car seat. I set him down and he races around to the front of the vehicle.

Craig scoops Noah up and spins him around before settling him back down. He runs his fingers through his soft hair and squeezes it.

"Hey buddy, I missed you."

"Can we go to the park?"

I hold back a chuckle. This child is relentless.

"Another time, buddy."

Noah's face drops and he pushes out his lower lip.

"I'm sorry, but my car is being serviced and it's too far to walk to the park unless your Mummy wants to come to the park as well?"

They both look at me; Noah with his puppy eyes.

I'm supposed to be meeting Daniel after this at the house.

I need to speak with Craig about Daniel, so I'm sure Daniel won't mind if I'm a little late to our meeting this afternoon.

"Just for a little bit, then Mummy has to go." Both of them light up like kids on Christmas Day.

"Let me grab my stuff and lock up, and then we're good to go."

Noah bounces around, rather proud of himself.

"C'mon you, back in your car seat."

Noah climbs into the backseat and I help him buckle the seatbelt.

Craig gives me directions to a nearby park and as soon as Noah's free from the car seat, he's bounding to the playground with Craig following. Noah jumps into the sandpit and then races over to the climbing equipment.

I wander over and take a seat near the playground. Craig peers over his shoulder and then joins me. We sit in an awkward silence until Craig clears his throat.