Chapter Thirteen

"What should we pack in the picnic basket?" I ask Noah, despite already knowing the answer

 "What should we pack in the picnic basket?" I ask Noah, despite already knowing the answer. I shouldn't be surprised because ice cream was one of the main cravings I had whilst pregnant with him.

Noah pretends to ponder by placing his hand on his hip and looking up, but the way his hazel brown eyes light up does nothing to conceal his thoughts. Luckily he's cute and I love him.

"Hmm," he loudly sighs. "Ice cream?"

I ruffle his brown hair and laugh.

"We can't pack ice cream, bub." I frown. "It'll melt before we get to the park and it'll make a big mess. Can you think of something else?"

"We can eat it before we go to the park." He jumps up and down.

It's funny how toddlers can solve complex problems, but will have a meltdown about the simplest of things, like wearing pants.

"I don't think you need any more sugar." I giggle. "What about fruit and crackers?"

I want everything to go smoothly and a chocolate ice cream-covered child doesn't sound like a good idea. He'll be bouncing everywhere and I don't want to scare Daniel off on the first meeting.

"Okay." He pouts.

I crouch down to his level and cup his cheek. He nuzzles his face into the palm of my hand and I stroke his pink cheek.

"Maybe we can buy ice cream at the park."

"Yay," he shouts, bouncing on the spot.

"Can you please pick out some fruit and crackers?"

Noah picks up a few packets of crackers, three apples, two bananas, and a punnet of blueberries while I slice up some cheese to go with the crackers. I place the cheese into a container and toss everything else into it. It's not the prettiest spread, but it works.

"What toys should we bring?"

"Hm."

"We're going to meet a friend at the park, so we could take the soccer ball or bubbles," I suggest.

"A friend?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Mummy's new friend."

I pause, waiting for Noah's reaction but he just smiles.

"I like new friends. I made a new friend at daycare."

"Oh, that's good."

Noah runs off and comes back with a ball and some bubbles.

"I think that's everything we should need."

I help Noah put his backpack on and we head to the car to load it up. I check my phone and there's a sweet message from Daniel but it does nothing to soothe the panic coursing through me. I hope Noah likes Daniel otherwise I don't know what I'll do.