Chapter Six

I tangle my fingers through Noah's brown hair and stroke his head until his eyelids flutter closed

I tangle my fingers through Noah's brown hair and stroke his head until his eyelids flutter closed. His bottom lip drops and soft snores escape his lips. I would usually hate the sound of snoring but I could never hate anything about Noah. I smooth his hair aside and kiss his forehead. He's lucky he's so damn cute when he sleeps, it's very redeeming after a long day of terrorising me.

He snuggles in closer and my heart melts. I soak in Noah's warmth before etching away. I crawl to the end of the bed and slowly climb out, careful not to wake him. I slip on an item of clothing and topple onto a rouge Lego. I bit my lip to contain the scream. I peer over and thankfully Noah's still asleep.

I wander out of the room and slowly close the door behind me. I head to my bedroom and frown at the neatly made bed and the stupid pile of display cushions on it. I throw them onto the floor and slide under the covers. Sometimes cold fresh sheets feel amazing after a long day, but today it just feels lonely and cold. I open the latest book I'm reading and flick through the pages until I find the one I left off.

My phone pings and Daniel's name appears on the screen. Nothing can contain the big grin on my face. I unlock the phone to read the message.

'Hey, Ellie, how are you?' - Daniel.

I want to write good but I'm far from that. I'm still freaking out over Noah's outburst over Craig's question. How will he go if I tell him I'm seeing someone? Maybe he's too young for me to date. I don't know what to do here.

'I'm okay, thanks for checking in.' - Ellie.

'How is Noah? Is everything okay now?'- Daniel.

I tap my finger against the side of the phone and nibble on my lower lip. Technically he's okay because I assured him I love him and nothing would come between us. Do I tell him about Noah's freakout? Would he understand the position I'm in?

'He's asleep but he was pretty upset today.' - Ellie.

What if Noah doesn't like Daniel? What if Daniel thinks this is too hard and just leaves? I haven't felt something like this in a long time about anyone and I'm scared to lose it. My palms sweat and my heart races its way to a panic attack. The phone buzzes and thankfully pulls me from my thoughts.

'What's wrong?' - Daniel.

I take a deep breath before hitting send on the next message.

'Craig asked Noah if I was on a date today.' - Ellie.

Typing dots appear and then they disappear. I don't think that's a good sign.

I lock the phone and wait for the screen to light up with a notification. A few minutes pass and nothing comes through, so I flip the phone over and roll onto my back.

"What am I doing?" I massage my forehead and stifle a yawn.

I flip the phone over and there's a message from Daniel.