Chapter Twenty

Which chapter in the parenting handbook covers how to tell your child you have a boyfriend?

Seriously, where do I start? And how does this feel easier than telling Craig I was pregnant?

Craig wasn't around much when we were together, so when we did split there was no hassle, no awkward discussions about where Dad will be or why things are changing. It helps Noah was just a baby and didn't know any better. I just packed our things and moved back home with my dignity shoved into one of the various suitcases.

Now everything has changed and he knows things are changing and has his own opinion on things, which I love and hate sometimes.

"Noah?"

He pushes one of his small trucks off the side of the coffee table, then turns around to look at me. He blinks his long eyelashes and smiles, so carefree, so unsuspecting of the news I have. My stomach is in knots and I feel sick.

I just want everything to work out.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." I smile.

"To the moon and back?" He frowns.

"To the moon and back," I repeat.

He climbs onto the couch and jumps on me, expelling the air from my lungs. I wrap my arms around his waist and kiss the top of his head. Noah snuggles into me and continues watching his tv show. I run my fingers through his hair and sigh.

Somehow this feels harder than telling Craig I was pregnant. Perhaps it's because I knew that I would never have an abortion and that Noah will always come first. So if he doesn't like Daniel or the idea of us being together, then I'd sacrifice my own heart to make him happy.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, probably a message from Daniel asking if I've done it.

It's been two hours; pull it together.

"Do you like Daniel? Is he your friend?"

Noah turns to me with the biggest smile on his face.

"I like Daniel because he helped build my cubby house and we played at the park," he says.

Sometimes I forget how easy it is to make children happy. Small things like playing at the park or with toys at home go a long way.

"He's fun to play with, isn't he."

"Can Daniel come over and play?"

"I'm sure he'd love to come over and play."

"Can he come over today?"

"I'll ask him and see if he wants to come over." Daniel would be here in a heartbeat if I asked, and I'm surprised he's not here already and how patient he's being with me. He understands how delicate this situation is.