Chapter Seven

Daniel catches my hand and laces his fingers through mine

Daniel catches my hand and laces his fingers through mine. He tugs me closer to his side as we walk through the back streets of the city. As we approach the busy strip filled with bars, clubs, and restaurants, different genres of music blare from the establishments and attract all different kinds of people. He kisses my temple, then our pace slows and his lips brush against my ear. I stop and tug him to a halt beside me.

I stare into his blue eyes, while he searches mine for something. His hand feels a little sweaty and tightly clings to mine.

"Are you nervous about me meeting your friends?" I frown.

He squints his eyes and tilts his head to the side.

"What are you scared about?" I gasp, which turns into a laugh. "Should I actually be nervous about meeting them?"

"I'm sorry, you shouldn't be nervous about meeting them. I'm just worried because they goof around and like to tease each other. Sometimes they say inappropriate things, especially when they've been drinking, but I promise they're really nice."

"I'm sure they're great. I'm also a single mother of a toddler, so I don't scare easily."

"Yeah, once you get to know them."

"And I'm excited to get to know them. I hope they like me."

"I know they will." Daniel kisses my forehead and some how it eases some of my nerves. I just have to make his friends like me. Just need to figure out how to do that.

I grab his denim jacket and tug him down so he's closer to me. I brush my nose against his and peck his lips.

"Besides, I should be the one apologising in advance about my friends. They're going to interrogate you like you're on trial for murder and there's nothing I can do to stop it."

"I don't care." He shrugs. "I have nothing to hide, so they can ask away."

"You say this now." I giggle. "And I will damn well hold you to it."

Daniel continues to smile, despite having no idea what he's eventually going to get himself into. I cup his face and peck his lips. Daniel grabs the back of my neck and holds me there, deepening the kiss with his tongue. He traces my lower lip before our tongues move against each other. I nip his lower lip and grin.

He sighs, stealing one more kiss.

"Are you sure you want to meet them?" I ask.

Despite the hunger lingering in his soft blue eyes, he nods.

"Let's go."

Daniel leads me to a two-story venue with large glass windows that overlook the busy street. There's a live band and it looks busy already with people queuing up for the bar and dancing in front of the band.

Security checks our IDs and we enter the venue. Daniel scans the crowd before walking over to a table surrounded by four people who are vibrantly chatting about something.