Chapter Sixteen

- Daniel's Point of View - 

"You're not sneaking out the window tonight then?" Dad smirks, as he leans against the bathroom door frame. I adjust the bow tie for the fifth time and curse it under my breath.

Dad raises his eyebrow and I nod. He fiddles with the bow tie and it looks better than all my attempts.

"Where are you going tonight?"

"Dustin and Claire's wedding."

"Are you drinking? Do you need a lift?"

"No, I have a date so I'm not drinking tonight."

"Oh, good choice."

I fix my hair, then spray cologne on. Mum spies me leaving the bathroom and pretends she's doing something else, to avoid the fact she'd sent my father in to inquire about my whereabouts and was trying to listen into the conversation.

"Oh, Daniel, wow, you look good!"

"Thanks, Mum."

"Is that a new tie?"

"Yes." I nod.

"Daniel's going to a wedding, so we best not make him late," Dad comments.

I slip into my bedroom to grab my car keys, but I wait by the doorway to catch their conversation.

"He has a date?" She gasps. "Why didn't you ask for her name?"

"Daniel will introduce his date to us whenever he's ready. Don't push him."

"I'm just worried about him."

I walk out of the bedroom and smile at my mother. She tugs on a bright smile to cover up their intense conversation. I kiss her cheek and give her a hug.

"Don't worry about me, I'm happy," I whisper.

Well, I'll be happy once I have Ellie in my arms.

It's not a long drive to Ellie's house, but it feels like that with how fast my heart is racing. I'm excited to see her as I've spent the last two nights with Dustin preparing for the wedding and his bucks party, beyond nervous about meeting her mother and how everyone else will react to Ellie.

I pull into the driveway and take a deep breath before jumping out of the car and heading to the door. I knock twice and adjust my suit jacket. The door swings open and Ellie's mother answers it.

"You must be Daniel, I've heard lots about you." She grins.

"All good, I hope." I nervously smile.

"Noah seems to really like you, apparently so does my daughter." She chuckles. "So perhaps all is good for now."

"I like them both, Noah's a cute kid."

"We're just in her bedroom getting ready."

"Okay." I nod.