Chapter Five

"You have to wear pants when you leave the house," I explain

"You have to wear pants when you leave the house," I explain. "You can't just wear your underwear because it's hot or you like the pattern on it. It's a non-negotiable. You have to do it."

"But I don't want to wear pants."

"Sometimes we have to do things we don't like." I shrug.

Noah growls with frustration and pegs the dinosaur-printed pants over my head. I retrieve them from the floor and hand them straight back to him.

"Noah Rhodes put those pants on right now!" I shoot him a look as if to say I'm in charge, but from the way this situation is playing out, I'm very much not in control.

He looks me dead in the eye and crosses his arms.

"No."

I stare him down and say, "Yes."

He tips his nose into the air and shakes his head.

"If you have to wear pants to leave the house, then I'm not going."

I want to bash my head against the door and scream until my lungs burn, but I'm the adult here and I can't do that. Noah's never this irrational, so there must be something greater than not wanting to wear pants.

Once I've taken a few deep breaths, I take a seat on the bedroom floor.

"What's wrong?"

Noah's silent.

"Are you upset because you're going to your Daddy's house?"

His head drops and that's how I know I've struck a cord.

"Come and tell me why you don't want to go to Daddy's house." I open my arms and Noah curls up in my lap and rests his head against my chest. He peers up with his round sunflower, hazel eyes and I melt.

"Because I want to stay home with you." He pouts.

I run my fingers through his soft brown hair, then stroke his cheek.

"Daddy's very excited to see you, though. You're going swimming in the big pool and having ice cream. Doesn't that sound like lots of fun?"

"Can you come as well?" His eyes sparkle with hope.

"No baby, I can't come."

"Why?" He frowns.

I'm stumped by his question because he's never asked to hang out together before. When he was younger, I was invited to all of Craig's family events but now Noah's getting older, the invitation is just for him and I suppose that's confusing.

Craig and I aren't good for each other, but he doesn't know that yet.

"Daddy wants to spend time with you." I poke his nose. "Like how we have our fun days together, with just you and me."