93: Jawaad

After dad passed away, I thought our lives would fall apart.

It was true that mum was depressed for a few months, but the past few weeks had really changed her back to her old effervescent self. She had learned to let go. I guessed the reason was that Farida and I had chosen the path she had always wanted. For the longest time, all mum wanted, was for us-for me especially-to settle down.

Farida and Farouq were already engaged and the wedding was in a month. Preparations were in full swing.

On the other hand, Manal and I had gotten closer to each other. I never thought I'd get so comfortable with her because I believed we were different in so many ways. We barely had anything in common.

She's a playful person. I'm not-at least not all the time.

I used to think things would never work between us, but I was wrong. Making a move on Manal had to be one of the best decisions I had made in my entire life. There was just something really special about her-something I couldn't pinpoint. With every passing day, I found myself getting even more attached to her. It seemed like a force pulling me to her.

I couldn't wait to tie the knot with her.

"Jawaad, are you in there?" Farida knocked on the door.

"You can come in," I responded and reclined backward on the sofa I was seated on in my room.

The door opened and Farida came into view.

"Do you need something?' I raised a brow.

"You have a visitor." She informed. "He's in the living room, waiting for you."

"Who's that? And why is he in the living room?"

"Because," she spoke. "He's not comfortable enough to come all the way here. Yet." She added the last part with a bit of emphasis.

I shook my head. I already had a clue as to who it was, but I decided to feign oblivious. "Who is it?"

"It's Farouq." She responded.

I ran a hand over my face and sighed. "What does he want?"

"Come on, Jawaad." Farida frowned. "Why are you treating him this way. It's not fair on him."

"How am I treating him?" I sneered. "I'm even being lenient with him. After what happened, he should be grateful I still accepted him for you."

"But he had apologized. He did that over and over again. What else do you want him to do? Farouq has been really bothered about your indifference when talking to him. I told him not to worry about it, but apparently, he can't hide the discomfort anymore."

"His problem," I remarked.

"If we're doing to be family, you need to get along with him. Is it that difficult? Please talk to him, Jawaad. He just wants to be friends with you."

I chuckled. "Friends?"

Farida opened the door wider and walked in. "Are you going to talk to him? Or should I tell him to leave instead?"

"Tell him to leave." I deadpanned.

"Jawaaaaaad." She stamped her feet on the ground. "How can I tell him you leave? It's not polite at all."

"If you know that, why did you ask me that then?" I questioned. "tell him to come here. I will spare him a few minutes."

"Really?" She jumped and made her way out of the room. "Thanks! Thanks!! Thanks!!!"