82: Jawaad

"Jawaad! Jawaad!!" I was awakened by mum's screams. "Jawaad, come quickly!"

I yanked off the comforter and dashed out of the room for my parents'.

At the sight of dad lying in the bed and clutching his chest, I froze. My heart accelerated and my blood ran cold. At that moment, I feared the worst was about to happen. I couldn't talk, talk more of moving. I was rendered dumbfounded.

"What are you waiting for? Hurry! Let's take him to the hospital."

Mum's words jarred me to awareness."What happened...to him?"

"I don't know. I woke up and saw him like this." She cried. "What has happened to him, Jawaad?"

I couldn't bring myself to give her a reply.

Quickly, I went out of the house and called for help from the neighbors.

"Mum, that's enough now. Remember your blood pressure." I soothingly stroked her shoulder. Ever since we took dad to the hospital, she hadn't stopped crying.

I was scared for my father's life too, but I had to remain strong for the sake of mum.

"We were just talking yesterday. Last night, he told me he didn't feel sick anymore. He was so ebullient. What suddenly happened?"

Wordlessly, I drew her into an embrace. "Just keep praying for him."

"We talked about a lot of things yesterday. We discussed your marriage and also Farida's. He is very eager to meet his grandkids."

At mum's words, tears prickled my eyes, but I was quick to wipe them away before mum could see.

"Your dad hasn't even gotten to witness yours or Farida's wedding."

I gulped a painful lump in my throat. "Why are you talking like that, mum? Dad is not going anywhere. In Sha Allah, he will be there to witness his children's wedding."

"Ameen." Mum cried. "Ameen."

The ringtone of my phone made me take my attention off mum.

Farida.

I averted my gaze back to mum. "Did you tell Farida about dad?"

She shook her head. "Why?"

"She's the one calling."

"Go ahead and answer it then."

"Okay..." I rose to my feet. "I'll just talk to her and return."

I didn't wait for mum's reply before walking away.

When I got to the reception, the call had already ended.

Just as I was about to dial her number, she called again.

The first thing I heard when I received the call, was her sobs.

Needless to be told, I knew one way or the other, she already found out about dad's health.

"What happened to dad, Jawaad?"

"He had difficulty breathing," I replied. "We're at the hospital right now."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" She cried. "I'd have-"

"If I had told you, what would you have done? Come back home?" I hummed.

"Of course." She replied in a high-pitched voice. "I want to be there."

"Just stay in school. Mum and I are here to take care of him. There's absolutely no need for you to come here. Instead of traveling all the way here, you should pray for him." I breathed. "By the way, who even told you about him?"