70: Manal

Unedited. First draft.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share 🙂

I swallowed a lump in my throat as I recalled what happened yesterday. I still couldn't believe it! Farida was the last person I wanted to share a room with. After everything we had been through, I thought we were never going to cross paths again. I, for one, didn't want to see her anymore. She had betrayed me more than enough.

"This is your bed." I had heard Aisha say. "By the way, my name is Aisha."

"My name's Radiya." Radiya introduced. "What's your name?"

"Farida." She responded. "My name is Farida..." Her voice trailed for a second or so. "Who is that?"

Without mincing words, she was referring to me.

I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. After how we parted ways the last time, I wasn't ready to see her. Not at the moment. I still had to prepare myself mentally.

"Oh! That's Manal." Aisha replied. "She's the one you're going to be sharing a bunk with."

"Manal?" Farida asked.

By the tone of her voice, I depicted she had a hunch I was the one.

"Yes."

"Uh...is she in the department of food science and technology?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Yes! Do you know her?"

"No." She responded. "I don't know her."

What?

I was enraged by her response. After everything, we had shared...the good memories. She was going to throw them down the drain?

Why am I even surprised?

She was a vile person anyways. I was a fool to think she might not have an ulterior motive for asking Jawaad to pretend to be in love with me.

After everything she did to me, she had the effrontery to deny me in front of strangers.

I blamed myself more for still having expectations from her.

When will I ever learn?

"Oh! How did you..."

"I just took a guess."

"Okay."

"Do you need help with anything?" Aisha asked.

"No, thanks. I got this." Farida politely declined.

Ugh! Miss goody-two-shoes.

"If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask any of us." Aisha continued.

"Alright then. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I shook my head in an attempt to spurn the thought from my mind. I had been able to avoid Farida yesterday, but for how long was that going to be possible?

I heaved a sigh and turned to the other side of the bed. Aisha was not in her bed. Maybe she had gone for her lectures.

I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to perform ablution to say my prayer.

In about thirty minutes, I was set to leave for school. My gaze trailed to Farida, who was still asleep in her bed. Fortunately for me, she had been sleeping all along.