66: Jawaad

Instagram: deey_jah

"Are you planning to spend the night here?" Farida inquired, as she walked into the living room.

I reclined forward in my seat and nodded. "Yes. For the meantime, I'll be staying here. I realized it's pointless living separately from you all. I want to spend as much time as I can with my family. With Dad especially."

Farida hummed in concurrence. "That's a good idea." She sat on the opposite sofa. "Have you told mum about...about her yet?"

I furrowed my brows in incomprehension. "Who?"

"Imani." She rolled her eyes. "Have you told mum you've decided to marry her."

"With what's been going on lately, dad's health and all, I haven't had the chance to tell her. She will be over the moon." I smiled. It was all I wanted. To be able to see that blissful smile on mum's face again. Ever since dad's discharge, mum had been down in the mouth. I had no idea if she already knew about his illness, but by the way she was acting, I had a hunch she already knew. I felt really sad for her.

"Yeah." Farida agreed. "Mum will be happy. It's what she has always wanted."

I nodded. "I hope she gets along with Imani. Do you think mum would like her?"

"Honestly?" She asked, then shook her head. "I don't think so."

I frowned. "Why?"

"Because..." She heaved a sigh. "Imani hasn't taken the initiative to visit her. She isn't reasonable enough to know that she's supposed to visit mum and especially dad, when he was hospitalized and even now that he has been discharged. I'm surprised."

I'd be lying if I say I didn't relate with what Farida was saying. I had spoken to Imani about it and everytime, she kept on coming up with one excuse or the other. Something was definitely off with her. I took it upon myself to find out what exactly it was. I couldn't keep turning a blind eye to it.

"She has been busy." I defended. Even to my own ears, the excuse sounded lame.

"Too busy to visit your sick father?" Farida pursed up her lips. "I see."

"I'm going to talk to her. I will make her visit today."

Farida shook her head. "In my opinion, she doesn't want to come here, because she isn't really into you."

I threw a glare at her.

"What?" She shrugged. "I only told you what was on my mind. Someone that really loves you, will be eager to meet your parents. Like I said, I think that girl isn't into you. Who knows, she might have someone on the side and—"

"That's enough, Farida." I cut her off; anger building up in me. I couldn't sit there and continue to listen to her badmouth my fianceè right in front of me. "I know you're only saying all these because you don't like her. And that isn't fair. You should give her the benefit of doubt. At least get to know her better before arriving at a conclusion about her."

"To be honest, I'm not interested in getting to know her."

"Then quit creating a narrative of her in your head. She isn't the reason why I didn't fall in love with your friend." Okay, I knew my last sentence was uncalled for. It was petty of me, I knew, but I had to say that to get her off Imani's case...and it worked.

Without saying a word to me, Farida stood and walked away.

I puffed out air from my mouth. Lately, Farida and I had not been getting along. We couldn't have a conversation without ending up walking out on each other..