85: Jawaad

"You don't have to rectify anything," Manal spoke. "Don't feel obligated."

"I don't have to, but I want to." I voiced. It was true that I wasn't obligated to rectify my mistakes because I had already apologized, but I wanted to do it. I wouldn't be able to rest easy otherwise.

The past few days had got me thinking about Manal and how helpful she had been. My dad's death and how she stood by Farida when she needed her only made me realized that she was not as bad as I thought. In fact, I had started seeing a lot of good attributes in her. It was no wonder mum liked her a lot.

"That won't be necessary." She gave a small-almost non-existent smile. "Besides, we won't be seeing each other after today, so I doubt that'd be possible."

I was taken aback by how refined, yet firm she was with her words. By the looks of things, she didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore. The attention she was giving me seemed forced.

I felt strange. The feeling felt alien to me. I wasn't used to be rejected by girls. Although it wasn't rejection, in this case, it was something cognate. The fact that she was avoiding me as much as possible was glaring.

I couldn't accept it.

"Why?" The question emerged from my lips before I could stop it.

She furrowed her brows. "Why?" She threw my question back at me. "Why what?"

"Aren't you Farida's best friend?" I questioned. "It's impossible for us not to see each other again... except you're planning on avoiding me forever."

"Who's avoiding you?" She asked, calmly.

"You," I replied. "It's quite obvious. Before my father passed away, I tried calling you severally and you kept ignoring." I pointed out. "And when...when dad died, I texted you, you didn't reply. Twice." For some inexplicable reason, I wanted an explanation.

"First time you texted me, I was too shock to reply and the second time you did, it was Farida that read it." She explained. "Why am I even explaining." She muttered her last sentence underneath her breath.

I guessed it wasn't meant for me to hear, but I still did. It didn't sit well with me. Why wouldn't she explain? "Alright then, I'll take that. Thanks for being there for Farida. I appreciate it more than you know."

"Farida is my friend. I did that for her. " She made sure to emphasize her last word.

I decided to shrug it off. "As her brother, I'm saying thank you. I feel indebted to you."

"If that's the case, I know of a way you can payback."

Perplexed, I waited for her to continue.

"It's about Imani." She began.

In as much as I didn't want to talk about that woman, I allowed her to continue.

"I'm pleading on behalf of her cousin, who's my friend; please drop the case about her. I know I'm asking for too much, but his family will be very grateful if you consider doing this. My friend was the one who made it possible for the police to find Imani..."

I didn't have to think long before giving her my reply. The truth was that I had thought long and hard about the case and I had decided to let her go. I decided because I still felt pity for her. She was influenced. I was hoping she'd turn a new leaf after her release. Even though that would be the case, I wanted nothing to do with her anymore. "Alright."

"Alright?" Her eyes broadened. "So easily?"

"I-"

She must have thought I wanted to change my mind for she quickly cut me off. "Thank you."