77: Manal

Dedicated to mss_amee ❤️

There was something eerie about the way Na'eem spoke. It seemed to me there was something he was hiding.

First, he didn't pick up my calls and when he finally did, he didn't speak much.

He was being calculative, that, I was sure of. I wasn't very good at reading people, but I couldn't be mistaken. The signs were there.

Could he be trying to protect his wayward cousin?

"No. Na'eem would never side with the wrong person. He has integrity."

"Manal!" Aisha called, jarring me to awareness. "Are you talking to yourself?"

Radiya chuckled. "I have noticed she's been doing that a lot lately."

"Are you okay though?" Aisha asked.

The concern on her face didn't go unnoticed by me.

"Yes." I faked a smile. "I'm just fine."

"Okay." She smiled back and went back to her discussion with Radiya.

I picked up my phone from my bed and walked out of the room.

On the balcony, I dialed Farida's number. I wanted to know if they had gotten any news about Jawaad.

Not an hour passed by without me wondering where he was. If he was still alive or not.

For the sake of his family, I wanted him to be found soon.

I never failed to include him in my prayers.

"As salamu Alaikum, Farida."

"Wa Alaikum Salam." She responded.

I wanted to ask her how she was doing, but I knew it'd be insensitive on my part, because Jawaad wasn't found yet, so obviously she wasn't doing okay.

"Any news about Jawaad?" I inquired.

"No..." Her voice was low-pitched and gloomy. "None at all."

I heaved a sigh. I didn't know how to go about telling her about what Na'eem had said to me. Indisputably, she would be disappointed.

"Have you talked to your friend?"

I hesitated for a while, before answering; "Yes, I have."

"What did he say? Did he know anything about this case?"

"He didn't, but he-"

"I don't believe him." Farida interrupted me. "I have a feeling that he's lying, Manal. Are you sure he's someone we can trust?"

"Absolutely," I stated. "I have no reason whatsoever to doubt him."

"He is that woman's cousin. Isn't that reason enough?"

"He might be, but he is nothing like her... I talked to him about her and he has promised to help us get to the bottom of this. He is willing to help."

"I don't trust him." She voiced. "I really don't."

"But I do," I remarked. "I know him much better than you do. You don't even know this guy. At least give him the benefit of doubt."

She chuckled humorlessly. "Not when my brother is at stake. Every single second is precious. The more time it takes, the slimmer the chance of finding him is."

"I understand." I really did. I probably would have been more restless if I were in her shoes, but she needed to understand too that Na'eem wasn't that kind of a person.