78: Farida

"Thank you so much for everything, sir,"  I folded my hands in appreciation to the officer. He had singlehandedly taken it upon himself to help us find Jawaad. When I told him about the plan with Manal and Na'eem, he was more than willing to help.

"Don't thank me." He shook his head. "I did all I did for the sake of your father and besides, I'm just doing my job."

"I know you're just doing your job, sir, but sometimes, a job is someone's, but they don't do it. Thank you, sir."

"My pleasure then. Now that she's in our custody, I'll do everything in my power to make her confess to her crime and to tell us where she's keeping Jawaad. You can go home and have a rest, then come back tomorrow for the interrogation. I'll have someone drop you off at your home."

"I appreciate." 

He nodded and walked away.

Immediately I walked into the house, mum hurried towards me and took my hands in hers. "Where is Jawaad, Farida? Where is your brother?" She took in a deep breath. "Tell me you already know where we can find him." 

"Mum! Calm down." I circularly rubbed her shoulder, in an attempt to soothe her. "We don't know where Jawaad is yet, but we're finding out tonight. Imani has been arrested. As we speak, she's already in the police custody." My nerves had completely gone on the fritz, yet, I was able to control myself for the sake of mum.

"I want to see her." Mum cried. "I want to ask her what Jawaad had done so wrong to warrant all these. I want to see Jawaad, Farida."

"And we will." I embraced her. "In Sha Allah. Please take a rest, mum. Remember the doctor's advice?"

"Take a rest?" She chuckled, humorlessly. "I cannot take a rest in this situation. It's been five days since Jawaad went missing. I'm going insane waiting for him to return. I need to go to the police station and sort this out myself."

"Okay, mum, we will go." I assured. "but the officer told me to wait till in the evening. That's when she will be interrogated."

"Why not immediately?"

I shrugged. "That was what he told me."

"And you didn't deem it fit to ask him what the reason is?"

"Mum." I groaned. "It's almost evening. I will just freshen up and then we can go to the station. Is that okay?"

Without giving me a response, she turned around and walked up the stairs.

I sighed.

I freshened up and changed into a black abaya. I couldn't wait to go to the police station and find out where Jawaad had been taken.

It had only been five days, but it felt like an eternity. Not a day went back without the atmosphere in the house seeming like a funeral.

The sound of my ringtone pulled me out of my trance.

I took out my phone from the bag, but before I could accept the call, it had already ended.

Manal.

I quickly returned the call.

"As-salaam Alaikum." Came her voice.

"Wa Alaykum Salam," I responded. "I'm sorry I missed your call earlier. I was in the bathroom."

"Okay. I just called to know whether you guys arrived in Abuja safely."

"Yes, we did, alhamdulillah."