My Knight

By LillianneYoung

Editing 8/06/23 Hell's Reaper's Book #3 Dakota O'Kane, a name that's been around the world. Spending years do... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Epilogue
Arctic Storm

Chapter 16

3.2K 160 11
By LillianneYoung

Tacking up the stallion I take a deep breath. It's taken me most of the week to get him to respect me on the ground. Under saddle, is a whole new beast to fight with. I'm only riding him in the round pen today, fighting with him in the arena will be a test for another day. The owner still refuses to get him fixed and that's just pissing me off more at this point. He's too angry to mate with anyone now. Getting him to sire is pointless. Any mare you pair him with will just be harmed in the process.

Hurting the mother will only lead to one thing, tragedy. I'm not looking to bury a foal, that shit won't fly with me. Shaking my head I stare at the stallion watching him watch me. I'm not taking any chances today. Training horses can get you killed, I'm not looking for that just yet. I'm aiming to grow old and crippled before I push up daisies. Grabbing my leg guards, shin and thigh, I strap on braces before pulling my chaps over it all. I'm sure someone believes I'm overreacting.

I'm also sure they haven't had their leg crushed and broken by a horse slamming their legs into a panel. Grabbing my riding vest I strap it on, grabbing my helmet and mouth guard I unhook the stallion. Wanting to get some of his energy out before I climb on him. I'll admit at the beginning of our work out I didn't have much hope for this fella to be kicking by the end of the week. Taking my time and earning his respect has gotten me farther than I thought. If I can get him fixed, in a few months he'll be less of an asshole.

That alone will be a major improvement. I think with the right person, he'll become a best friend. I can't see us working out for life partners just because I'm the mean person who's breaking all of his nasty habits. Papa walks out smoking a cigarette talking with the ranch hands. Now I'm interested in what this is about to entail. "Boys, you're gonna learn today. I'm tired of this, I can't ride bullshit. These horses are schooling your asses, not the other way around." Papa starts off walking closer as I let the stallion into the pen.

He passes the menthol cigarette to me, making me chuckle. He knows me too well. It's not a habit I'm proud of, but when I'm about to get into some shit, or just need something to keep me from killing something, I need a drag or two. "What are y'all gonna be watching this shit show?" Just what I want, witnesses to this show.

"They need to learn that when their asses stick to the seat, they won't be bucked off." I snort shaking my head, sometimes even a great seat can't save you. As I like to say, it's not a question of if, but a question of when. Everyone eats dirt when they ride horses, the more often, the more likely.

"We'll see how that goes today. The owner of this fella should be showing up today, wants to see his progress." I shake my head, putting my helmet on, I hope she shows up after we've settled into an agreement. Slipping my gloves on, I wiggle my fingers.

"What's with all the gear?" Ryan asks, looking towards my hands and vest. Passing the cigarette back to my father.

"So I don't end up in the ground. I'm brawling, the winner is top dog, and well I need all the advantages I can get." I enter the round pen, rolling my neck and shoulders, ready to enter the fight. Pushing him out to the edge, I work him. Watching as he bucks out at me, making me change his direction, getting him to move. That's the biggest key to earning a horse's respect, making sure they understand I'm lead mare, not them. After twenty minutes of him throwing an attitude and a bitch fit, he finally calms down.

Letting him walk in, I give him pats and praising him for his good behavior, finally. Grabbing the reins I clip them onto the bit, ready to get this shit show over with. Grabbing the stirrup I add pressure to it, watching as he explodes, kicking out at me. Pushing him away with a holler, he moves to the edge, cantering in circles around me. Shaking my head, at this we repeat this pattern. I can finally get him into me and decide to go to his right side, opposite from which I had been trying.

Confusing him enough I slide my foot into the stirrup, throwing my leg over him and into the opposite stirrup. I'm glad this is my saddle and the stirrups are already formed to my legs. Only a second goes by before he starts to explode. Bucking and kicking out like an angry child throwing a temper tantrum. Getting thrown around makes me grunt, gripping with my legs I turn his nose to my knee, feeling him grab the bit. He rears up and I lean forward delivering a light smack between his ears forcing him down to the ground.

I'd preferred to get thrown from a buck than have a horse flip on me. That shit hurts, it almost always leads to the horse getting put down. That's not something I like to deal with. With one last kick out he races to the outside edge, pushing with my leg, keeping him from slamming my leg into the panels. Trying to get him to release the bit only proves to be a pain in the ass. The weak metal clips snap as he jerks his head forward, cutting my ability to steer him. Shit. Grabbing the horn with one hand, I keep pushing him, I'll have to rely on my legs.

He bucks some more, making me urge him forward, making him pick up speed rather than kicking out. Taking a deep breath, I keep my calm, waiting for a chance to dismount safely at this point. The stallion stops, and I pause, feeling his muscles bunch and move beneath me. Waiting for his chance to get me in the dirt. He isn't done fighting, no he's waiting for me to take the bait. Smart horses are fun to work with, until they are trying to win a battle of leader. We both still, waiting for the others move. I've learned patience, the kind that keeps you alive, the kind that is built for an explosive break.

The sound of cars and bikes coming up the drive fills the silence. Why am I not shocked that people are here? No one speaks as we all wait for the next move. Engines shut off, and car doors open, I watch as his ears dart in their direction. The wait is about to break; a car door slams, sending the stallion back into a bucking bronc. Tightening my hold with my legs the stallion continues to kick up a storm, making me curse. I'm gonna be sore in the coming hours. He rears and I see my chance, leaning forward I grab his bridle, kicking off the saddle as he comes down.

I throw my shoulder into his, gaining control of his head as his front feet hit the dirt. Standing I feel myself breath heavy. "You're crazy." Scotty breaks the silences making me look at him, spitting out the mouth guard to give him a grin.

"Duh dumbass." The ranch crew breaks out into a fit of laughter, I don't get the same response with our new watchers. Hearing a sigh from the stallion I pat him, praising him before letting go. That ten minute ride wore me out. Pushing the horse to the edge, he moves only giving me a head shake. We are making progress. Getting him to change directions I let him come in, happy to be ending on such a good note.

"That horse needs to be put down, what have I been telling you Kassie." A man's voice made me turn to look at Kassie, the owner of the stallion, and the new arrival. Pulling the saddle from his back I watch as he stands still head hanging, yeah, he's exhausted.

"Who the hell are you?" Grabbing the broken reins I tie the one side back to the bit walking to the panels. Tossing the saddle onto the pen, I let the stallion move back snorting at the sudden sound. Watching him a moment he calms down, not stepping closer.

"Dakota, want me to take care of him for you?" Glancing towards Ryan I give a nod, it's best that the horse doesn't work with just one person. Ryan walks in grabbing the horse, and leaving, Devin grabs the saddle and pad following after.

"Dakota, this is Kenneth Anderson, he's the previous horse trainer I had gone to. What happened today?" Her wide eyes make me shake my head, scanning the area as I spot Digger, and the others. How fun.

"Believe it or not, we're making progress. That was the first time I've gotten up on him. He's coming along, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. But if we keep on this path we'll get there." Kassie still looks stunned.

"How was that progress, that animal is dangerous. Rabid is a better term, all that I saw was you getting schooled." The rough and tumble looking cowboy sends a glare at me, shaking his head. Arching a brow I stick my thumbs in the armpits of my vest confused.

"I don't know what kind of trainer you are, but you sure as hell didn't teach that horse a damn thing." Kassie looks at me, before her eyes get teary eyed.

"He keeps saying that he needs to be put down. He's too dangerous. Dakota, I don't know if we should continue to fight this. It'll be better to get this over with." I stare at her, wanting to shake the shit outta her.

"I don't think you should be giving up on that animal. I know what you saw was scary, but that horse still has potential. Take my advice, get him fixed, and you will see a major change in that animal." She shakes her head, clearly sad at the choice she's trying to make.

"I want to get him euthanized." I shake my head, growing annoyed.

"I can't allow that. I'm sorry but I believe this horse can be brought back." I might be stepping over my boundaries, but I don't give a damn. I don't want to have this horse's name become a stain on my mind because his owner is ready to throw in the damn towel.

"And what do you want to do? I'm still his owner." She looks at me, affronted almost. Big deal, senseless deaths are something I fight against.

"How much do you want for him?" I'll buy the horse, I know I can make a damn fine horse out of him. I can see him performing in the arena.

"Excuse me?" I give a shrug hearing my father release a slight chuckle.

"You're wiping your hands of him, want him dead. I want to continue training him, why don't we make a business deal. You clean your hands, I get a horse."

"Kassie that horse needs to die." Kenneth speaks up, making her glance at him for a moment, before back to me.

"$2,000?" I nod slowly thinking about it for a moment.

"I can pay you full, and you pay the training fee. Or I pay you what's left after training has been pulled from it." She nods in thought, I'm not a cheap trainer, this one week will cost her almost five hundred. I take crazy horses on death's door, and bring them back for good.

"Deal." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 860 22
** Picks up where The Edge of Hell (Mitchell Brothers Series Book One) left off** If there's one thing Declan Mitchell learned from watching his mama...
326K 11.9K 47
Hell's Reaper's MC Book #2 Sarah Jones is from New York City, on a whim, she decided to go for a surprise road trip - that is after her career came t...
87.2K 2.5K 34
Allison Riley - She wasn't her parents favorite but she was okay with that. She had the looks of a beauty queen but the mouth of a sailor. She was in...
378K 8.6K 20
*COMPLETED* Welcome to Buckley's Ranch, full of sexy cowboys and all kinds of trouble! Lord 'ave mercy! Jessie is working as a stable hand, seriously...