WOLF QUEEN | RHAEGAR TARGARYEN

By isa-tnj

A daughter born admits snow with ice in her eyes and fire in her heart A son born admits flames with fire in... More

WOLF QUEEN
AESTHETIC
ACT I | CHILDHOOD
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
ACT II | MARRIAGE
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
ACT III | CHAOS
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
ACT IV | REBIRTH
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
ACT V | RETURN
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
ACT VI | WAR
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE
CHAPTER SIXTY
ACT VII | ALLIANCE
CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE
CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO
CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR
CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE
CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX
CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE
CHAPTER SEVENTY
ACT VIII | CROWN
CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO
CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX
CHAPTER SEVENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER SEVENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER SEVENTY-NINE
CHAPTER EIGHTY
ACT IX | THRONE
CHAPTER EIGHTY-ONE
CHAPTER EIGHTY-TWO
CHAPTER EIGHTY-THREE
CHAPTER EIGHTY-FOUR
CHAPTER EIGHTY-FIVE
CHAPTER EIGHTY-SIX
CHAPTER EIGHTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER EIGHTY-NINE
CHAPTER NINETY
ACT X | WINTER
CHAPTER NINETY-ONE
CHAPTER NINETY-TWO
CHAPTER NINETY-THREE
CHAPTER NINETY-FOUR
CHAPTER NINETY-FIVE
CHAPTER NINETY-SIX
CHAPTER NINETY-SEVEN
CHAPTER NINETY-EIGHT
CHAPTER NINETY-NINE
CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED
EPILOGUE
THE END

CHAPTER FIVE

18.2K 688 272
By isa-tnj

THE SNOWFLAKE IN THE DESERT
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

275 AC, Sunspear

The heat was unbearable.

Sunspear was around a fortnights ride from Highgarden and as time goes on the weather became warmer. Alyssa was wearing her lightest dress, but it was far too hot for the dornish sun. Although her hatred for the carriage hadn't disappeared, she was almost glad that she didn't have to ride, because if she felt the true warmth of the sun she would surely melt and burn.

Outside the carriage the guards of House Tyrell were even worse of than she, sweating in their metal armour, probably getting boiled alive inside. They may be southerners, but only a dornishman or woman could truly stand the heat.

When the carriage came to a sudden stop Alyssa realised that they had arrived, she had completely lost track of time inside the warm carriage. Straightening up her skirts, made out of light blue silks, she stood up in the carriage just as the door opened. If she had thought that the sun in Highgarden was strong, this sun radiated such light that made her think she had walked into the sun.

Sunspear was a large castle, but it didn't have the same clean beauty as Highgarden. The castle was in a dun-colour that looked very dull, but the Rhoynish fashioned towers gave it a certain charm, that no one could deny.

The Martell family stood proudly awaiting her arrival. A tall woman stood proudly a few steps in front of the others, Alyssa had no doubt that this was the Head of House Martell, Princess Loreza the Ruling Princess of Dorne. She was a proud looking woman with hair like onyx, skin like copper and deep brown eyes that showed years of wisdom. She was wearing a dress of bright orange summer silk with a deep neckline and a slit on the side. She was only a few years younger than Lady Olenna, but time had done nothing to diminish her beauty.

A few steps back stood a man in his late twenties, a calculating gaze in his dark brown eyes. His hair was as black as his mother's and his stance just as proud. This must be Doran Martell, the heir to Sunspear. On his arm he had a woman, a haughty looking woman with deep brown eyes and dark hair, just a few shades lighter than the Martells. It was Mellario of Norvos, Prince Doran's wife.

Beside them stood another woman, she was younger, around seven-and-ten, and was a little shorter than Princess Loreza. It was Princess Elia, the only daughter of House Nymeros Martell. She was shorter than her mother, yet tall and slender with copper skin, onyx hair that fell down her back and warm black eyes. The Princess was beautiful, yet she looked sickly, her collarbones pointy, her arms slender and face sunken. She wore a yellow dress with a generous cleavage show casting her small figure.

The last person was a man, one or two years younger than Princess Elia, it was the youngest child, Prince Oberyn. His lips were curled into a cocky smirk and his eyes were even darker than his sister's, Viper eyes. His onyx hair was lustrous and his nose sharp, Oberyn was taller than his sister with a fit figure that was showcased by the fitting yellow tunic he wore that showed parts of his chest.

With small steps towards the group Alyssa stopped a few steps in front of them and curtsied. "Your Highnesses."

"Welcome to Sunspear Lady Alyssa" Princess Loreza greeted her, her dornish accent were thick and exotic, so different from her own, "I'm a glad that you've arrived safely."

"Thank you for inviting me into your home, your highness" Alyssa said.

"The pleasure is all mine" Loreza smiled kindly, "May I introduce my eldest son Doran and his wife Mellario" the Princess pointed at the couple, her voice a little colder at the mention of her good daughter's name.

"It's an honor to meet you Lady Alyssa" Prince Doran smiled kindly at her, a smile very similar to that of his mother.

"The honour is mine Prince Doran" Alyssa said curtsying, her gaze shifting to the woman beside him who analysed her with a critical gaze. Alyssa could see how Doran gripped his wife's arm just a little bit tighter when he realised that she wasn't about to say anything in greeting, but to no avail.

"Lady Alyssa this is my wife, Mellario of Norvos" Doran introduced, his voice laced with irritation by her behaviour.

"Lady Alyssa" Mellario said monotonously, sounding like it took a great deal of effort to greet her.

"How lovely to meet you Lady Mellario" Alyssa said with a sweet smile, but without a curtsy which didn't go unnoticed by the older lady who glared down at the younger girl. But it seemed like Princess Loreza had appreciated her sickly sweet smile, when the Princess of Dorne smirked slightly.

And this is my two youngest children, Elia and Oberyn."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, your highnesses" Alyssa gave them a small curtsy.

"There is no need for that, Elia is fine" the Princess waved her hand dismissively, a kind smile plastered on her lips which Alyssa gladly returned.

"How lovely to meet a true northern beauty" Oberyn Martell took a step forward, taking her hand in both of his, bringing it up to her lips. His accent made his word sound even more flirty. A normal girl would have blushed at the comment, but Alyssa didn't. She was still a child, she wasn't beautiful in that way and the glint in the Prince's eyes told her he was more teasing than flirty.

Cocking an eyebrow, Alyssa had to refrain herself from smirking knowing that the Prince was expecting her to blush like any other young girl who got complimented. Oberyn's smirk got even wider than before, letting out a laugh he looked almost impressed.

"I like you already" Oberyn sent her a teasing wink, Elia letting out a soft laugh, placing a hand on Alyssa's shoulder.

"Allow me to show you to your chambers" Elia said kindly.

Perhaps Dorne wouldn't be too bad after all, except for the heat.

.•° ✿ °•.

Alyssa's first days in Sunspear were spent inside the palace. Her fair northern skin wasn't made for the strong dornish sun, her walks outside were short, a way to slowly get use to the burning sun without burning herself in the process.

Wearing a thin white dress and a shawl of creamy myrish lace she strode through the gardens of Sunspear. The sun had yet to rise fully, the garden illuminated in a purple and yellow light that shined against the marble of the pathway. On either side of her stood large palms, a tree never seen in the North but native in Dorne.

A soft breeze made her skirts flutter, the shilly wind soft against her skin. This was her favourite time of the day, the sun not in its full power, making it more bearable to walk outside. The garden were almost completely empty, most inhabitants of the castle still sound asleep, it was to early to break the fast yet Alyssa was wide awake.

Clangs could be heard in the distance, catching both Alyssa's attention and her curiosity. Walking towards the sound she came upon a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Two men were sparring, one she did not recognise with a sword and the other one Prince Oberyn spinning a tall spear over his head with grace. It looked to be an even fight, both participants attacking and blocking in swift moves.

With a spin Oberyn managed to knock his opponent to the ground placing the spear against his neck, the other man raising his hands in defeat, yet a smile visible on both of their lips. Like if he was feeling her eyes on him Oberyn turned around, his onyx viper eyes catching her smokey wolf eyes. A wide smirk spread on his face, he turned around to say something to his sparring partner before he strode towards the stairs that led up to the balcony. With a few graceful skips he was up, striding towards her like a snake.

"Ah, Lady Alyssa! How lovely to see you this morning" he took her hand and disposed a small kiss on it. During her days here Alyssa had realised that this was the way Prince Oberyn behaved, but his flirting with her was more teasing than sensual.

"I was taking a walk in the gardens, I am afraid that the morning breeze is more suitable for me than the midday sun" Alyssa said.

"Aye, the dornish sun is harsh on foreigners, I can only imagine the difference between the weather in Dorne and the North" Oberyn stated proudly with a certain glint in his eyes.

"The North is a harsh land, not made for southerners. We northerners can endure the harsh winters whereas you southerners freeze because of a summer breeze" Alyssa said, an air of mischievousness surrounding her.

Oberyn let out a bark of a laugh at her response. "You are right there" Oberyn agreed with a smirk, "but I do not believe you came out here to talk about the weather. How did you enjoy the match?"

"I must admit that I have never seen anyone fight with a spear, in the north most fight with swords or axes" Alyssa commented. The way Oberyn fought intrigued her, he was swift and smooth instead of relying on his strength, something she knew Brandon did when he sparred.

"And what is your weapon of choice Lady Alyssa?" Oberyn asked, a teasing glint in his eyes and a smirk on his lips that Alyssa wanted to wipe away.

"I suppose I will have to say bow and arrows. My father always said it wasn't suitable for a lady to fight and the bow is easier to practice with in secret" Alyssa said, mimicking his smirk.

Oberyn looked a little surprised, but covered it up quickly. "Well, we are going to change that."

Oberyn gave her a mysterious look and kissed her hand once more before walking away, leaving Alyssa completely confused.

.•° ✿ °•.

"And why, my dear Oberyn, do I need lessons from a dancing master?" Alyssa asked. Prince Oberyn had found her reading under a tree in the gardens, the shadow of the tree protecting her from the sun, and after that he had dragged her into her room and told her to wear breeches and a tunic. When she had emerged he had led her through the busy halls of Sunspear towards her new dancing master.

"Oh, my dear Alyssa, you will see soon" Oberyn said smugly, "Continue down this corridor, it's the last door to your right. Good luck" he sent her a wink before walking away, leaving her alone.

She followed his instructions, opening the door and entering the room to see a man standing with his back against her, looking through the window. "You are late boy" the man said, his accent was completely foreign to her, she guessed that he wasn't from Westeros but the Free Cities.

"How exactly can I be late when I didn't know I was coming here?" Alyssa asked confused, when the man still didn't turn around.

"Tomorrow you will be here at midday" the man finally turned around. He was a fairly young man, not much older than twenty or thirty, with copper skin, curly black hair and a moustache.

"I don't want to sound rude, but who are you?" Alyssa asked, looking at the wooden swords in his hands.

"Your dancing master, Syrio Forel" the man said proudly, throwing one of the swords towards Alyssa, but she wasn't ready so the sword hit the ground with a thud.

"Tomorrow you will catch that" Syrio said as she picked up the wooden sword.

"Thank you for the advice" Alyssa mumbled under her breath, her sharp tongue coming out to play.

She supported the sword's weight in both of her hands, having a suspicion that it wasn't just wood. "That is not the way boy. It is not a Great Sword that needs two hands to swing it" Syrio told her when he saw her grip.

Releasing her right hand she felt the swords weight in her left, her favoured hand. But the weight was too much for just one hand to hold. "It's too heavy for one hand" she told him.

"It is heavy as it needs to be to make you strong" he threw his own sword into the air and caught it by balancing it on his hand. "Just so, one hand is all that is needed. No, you are standing all wrong, turn your body side face" he told her.

She did as she was told, deciding that arguing with him wouldn't get her anywhere. "Good." he said, using he own wooden sword to lift her chin, "You are skinny. That is good, the target is small. Now the grip, let me see."

Alyssa held up her left hand that was currently holding the sword. "The grip must be delicate" he informed her, moving her hand to get a better grip.

"Then I will drop it" she pointed out with a quirk of her eyebrow.

"The steel must be part of your arm" Syrio exclaimed, "Can you drop a part of your arm?"

"Aye, if the grip is so delicate that I drop the sword and someone else cuts it off" Alyssa said, with a smug smirk.

"No you can't" Syrio said like he hadn't even heard her, "Syrio Forel has fought for many years now. He knows his things, you must listen to me boy."

"I'm a girl" Alyssa corrected him. She didn't know if he thought she looked like a boy or just didn't care.

"Boy, girl" he said dismissively, "You are a sword, that is all" he said and then he started to circle her, "That is the grip" he said and she held up her sword, "You are not holding a battle axe you are holding a sword. Now we will begin the dance."

He started to walk towards her, "Remember child, this is not the dance of Westeros we are learning, the knights dance. Hacking and hammering" he swung his sword against her and she had to jump back to avoid it, "This is the Braavos Dance, the Water Dance. It is swift and sudden" he moved around gracefully. "All men are made of water, did you know this? If you pierce him the water leaks out and they die."

Syrio poked her in the stomach, not hard enough to hurt her but it still felt. "Now you will try to strike me" he said and he turned his back against her. Alyssa tried to attack him from behind but he gracefully moved away. She started swinging against him but he easily managed to dodge her attacks, not even making an effort. She crossed her own sword with his and he managed to pull hers out of her grip and when she bent down to pick it up he took it. Alyssa looked at him suspiciously and he threw the sword to her again, but this time she caught it.

"Good" he said and they continued their sparring, "Dead" he said when his sword touched her side, she spun around, crossing her sword with him again. "Dead" he said again, holding his sword against her neck. The two continued to dance around each other, Syrio taking every opportunity to defeat her. "You need to be quick as a snake. As quiet as a shadow" Syrio said as he knocked her to the ground and held the sword against her neck. "Do you pray to the gods, boy?" Syrio asked as she stood up from the ground.

"The Old Gods, yes" Alyssa said, wondering where this was going. There was many different Gods in the Free Cities and Westeros, she knew that. She herself had never been overly pious, only praying on special occasions, but she often visited the Godswood because she liked it there.

"There is only one God and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death" Syrio said lifting up her chin to look at her, "Not today."

Alyssa smiled, finding a certain truth in his words. A thought then struck her. "You are from Braavos, aye? That means that you speak High Valyrian, right?"

Syrio looked at her in surprise, "Issa" he said with a smirk.

"Could you teach me that as well?" Alyssa asked hopefully. Maester Walys had always told her it was a waste of time for her to learn a language she would never have to speak.

"You wish to learn the language of the Dragon?" Syrio asked her, spinning the sword in his hand in a graceful movement. "You are brave, I will admit that. That is good. Se ribazma iksis se ossēnagon hen zūgagon. Fear is the mind killer."

.•° ✿ °•.

After two moons in Sunspear Alyssa had fallen into a pattern. She would wake up, break the fast with Elia and Oberyn, attend her Water Dancing lessons with Syrio Forel and after that it would vary. As her Water Dancing progressed Oberyn had taken it upon himself to teach her how to fight with a spear, despite the age different they had become fast friends, maybe because Alyssa was rather mature for her age or because Oberyn was immature for his age.

"You are getting better" Oberyn smirked at her when he had successfully knocked her to the ground, offering his hand to drag her up.

"It does not feel that way" Alyssa grumbled, "Maybe you are just getting worse."

Oberyn let out a barking laugh, ruffling the younger girls hair that was tied in a braid, to not fall over her eyes and distract her. "Ah, I just remembered, mother told me to inform you that we leave for the Water Gardens in three days."

"Who will be joining us?" Alyssa asked.

"Elia will join us" Oberyn informed her, "Doran and Mellario as well" he rolled his eyes and Alyssa groaned. She held no grudge against the Prince, but his wife was another story. Since her arrival the woman had been haughty and impolite, luckily for Alyssa it seemed like Oberyn shared her dislike for the woman.

"How lovely" Alyssa said, the irony clear in her voice, "Speaking of your sister, where is Elia. She did not break the fast with us this morning."

"I am afraid she's indisposed. She has been confined to her chambers until our leave, to save her strength" Oberyn said, a lingering worry evident in his tone when he spoke of his sister's health. Elia Martell was born a month premature, many believed she wouldn't survive like her two brothers born between her and Doran. Yet the Princess surprised everyone, but her health had always been frail.

"Is she too indisposed for a visit?" Alyssa asked, twirling her spear in her hand.

"No, in fact I believe she would love a visit" Oberyn said, offering his hand, to take the spear. "I will see you at supper Lys."

Turning away from the courtyard Alyssa walked towards Princess Elia's bedchambers. She had not spent a lot of time with Elia considering that the princess spent a lot of time indoors doing embroidery or other activities that suited her frail health, instead Alyssa spent a lot of time with Oberyn, whose new mission was to make her a warrior.

Stopping in front of the red door she knocked softly. "Enter" the princess's accented voice said, allowing Alyssa to open the door. Inside Elia sat in her bed, dark hair in a simple braid, wearing a yellow silk robe. The dark circles under her onyx eyes had never been so visible and her skin was slightly paler than usual. "Alyssa dear, what a lovely surprise!" Elia said with a kind smile, attempting to stand up to greet her.

"There is no need for that, princess" Alyssa took a few step forward to stop her from standing up, "I just wondered if you fancied some company. Oberyn told me that you didn't feel well."

"That would be lovely" Elia said, patting a seat next to her on the bed. Walking over she sat down on the bed turning to face the princess. "Are you excited to see the Water Gardens?"

"Aye, I have heard that it's one of the most beautiful places in Westeros" Alyssa responded, excitement evident in her tone. She may not have been thrilled to leave Winterfell and her family, but a part of her wanted to see the world, not being stuck in the same place the rest of her life.

"It truly is" Elia said fondly, "It was my favourite place as a child. I remember playing in the gardens with Oberyn and the other children."

"That sounds lovely" Alyssa said, "I remember how my siblings and I used to play in the Godswood, throwing snow at one another" she remembered fondly, thinking back to a time when her family was together.

"I have never seen a true Godswood, my health never allowed me to travel so far north" Elia said, her expression turned a little sad. For once, Alyssa was truly at loss on what to say to cheer up the princess, and it did not go unnoticed. "There is no need to say something dear, I may not have visited the North but I have visited a lot of other places" Elia assured her, "Now, do you have any plans for when we arrive at the Water Gardens?"

"Not really" Alyssa shrugged, "Oberyn told me Syrio would join us so I can continue my dancing lessons. What about you?"

"An old friend of mine will be joining us" Elia informed her, happinesses filling her dark eyes. "Ashara Dayne is her name. She also wrote to me telling that her brother, Arthur, would be joining us as well."

"I look forward to meeting them" Alyssa said honestly, she could see the fondness for the Dayne siblings in Elia's eyes.

"I am sure they will adore you" Elia said, it already seemed like the princess was in a better mood, "Now please tell me everything about Winterfell and the North."

"It is very different from Dorne..." Alyssa told the princess tales of the North until it was time for supper.

.•° ✿ °•.

"Do I have to ride in the carriage?" Alyssa groaned, it was the morning of their departure to the Water Gardens and Alyssa was less than thrilled by the prospect of being forced into a carriage. A part of her did not want to leave Elia, but an even bigger part of her wanted to avoid Mellario.

"You rode the carriage when you arrived" Oberyn pointed out, standing by his Dornish Sand Steed, a golden stallion that shimmered in the sun.

"Because Lord Tyrell didn't think it was appropriate for a lady to ride" Alyssa rolled her eyes, here in Dorne she felt more free than she had done in Highgarden and her sharp tongue showed itself more often than not. "After the first day I wanted the carriage to run over me!"

Oberyn let out a laugh and received a glare in response. "Do you know how to ride?" Oberyn asked, the smirk that always seemed to occupy his lips a little mocking.

"I've been riding since I could sit" Alyssa crossed her arms, a deathly glare piercing Oberyn's viper eyes, a glare that could make a grown man cower in fear. "It may have been a while but riding is like breathing to me, I will never forget how to do it."

Oberyn raised his arm in mock surrender. "You! Guard" he called, getting the attention from one of the men who stood in the courtyard readying their horses. "Saddle a horse for Lady Alyssa."

Smiling in victory Alyssa jumped up and wrapped her arms around Oberyn's neck, him spinning her around as she laughed. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

"Anything for my little Lys" Oberyn pinched his cheek, but not even that gesture could bring down her mood when she waited for her horse to arrive.

The guard led over a chestnut sand steed with a mane as black as Oberyn's eyes. The mare was slightly smaller than Oberyn's, more suitable for her smaller stature, yet she was glad that they had gave her a full grown horse instead of a pony.

"She is beautiful, what is her name?" Alyssa stroked its mule, the only animal she loves more than horses were direwolves, she was a Stark after all.

"Nymeria" Oberyn answered, "One of our fastest horses, can you handle that?"

Alyssa gave him an unimpressed look, opening her mouth to say a witty response when she saw the teasing glint in his eyes, he wanted her to snap at him. "I know what you are doing and I shall not fall for it."

Turning around she took the reins from the guard, thanking him, before she mounted the horse with a grace not many possessed. Many of the guards looked at her in wonder, seeing as the horse was large and she was still a young girl, tall for her age yet smaller than anyone else in their party. Adjusting the shawl around her head to protect her face and shoulders from the sun she waited patiently for everyone else to get ready.

Oberyn had mounted his stallion as well, the only one they waited for was Mellario and Doran. When the two entered the courtyard Doran looked irritated, probably realising that everyone was waiting for them whereas Mellario looked unimpressed for other reasons. After assisting his wife into the carriage, may the gods save Elia, Doran mounted his own stallion and motioned for the party start moving.

"Let us all hope that we can avoid wars in the future, because the Dornish army will surely be late because of that woman's demands!" Oberyn whispered to Alyssa who smirked.

It was a long time ago since Alyssa had felt this free, riding her mare towards the Water Gardens, her and Oberyn racing away from the rest of the party. Galloping in the red sand with Oberyn almost made her feel like she was home riding through the snow with her brothers and sister.

.•° ✿ °•.

275 AC, Water Gardens

The splashing of water and the laughter of children rang through the Water Gardens. On the pale pink marble ran children, both noble and common, between the numerous pools, playing in them and the fountains. Amongst them ran Alyssa splashing water and laughing just as much as the others.

Alyssa quickly became popular with the children in the Water Gardens, whenever she was done with her dancing lessons she would practically get kidnapped and dragged into the gardens to the play with the Dornish children who had become to adore her. She was one of the oldest there, but she didn't let her age stop her from having fun.

This particular day she wore light blue dress of summer silk that Elia had gifted her, a dress she herself had worn when she was younger. The water stains dark on the light fabric and a few strands of hair fell from her simple braid from all the running and splashing.

"There you are!" Oberyn's voice broke through the laughter, she did not need to turn around to know that he was smirking, but when she did she saw him stand there in a yellow tunic and black breeches. "How is it possible that the gods created someone so beautiful and gracious" he added teasingly at her disheveled appearance.

"They must have given me your share as well" Alyssa smirked back at him, their small banter catching the attention of a few children.

"I see the water woke up your wit" Oberyn rose his eyebrows impressed, "But I am afraid you will have to take a break now. Elia sent me to fetch you, the Daynes have arrived and are eager to meet you."

"Well we mustn't keep them waiting then" Alyssa said walking towards the edge of the pool where he stood, her steps slowed down by the water. "Help me up" she said innocently, bringing her hand up for him to take.

Oberyn took a few steps forward grabbing her hand to assist her. She lifted up on of her legs to the edge, but when lifting up the other she used all her force to push herself away from the edge causing Oberyn to lurch forward into the water with a large splash.

Alyssa managed to land on her feet, releasing Oberyn's hand just time for him to disappear under the water whereas she climbed up on the pale pink marble. She laughed loudly when the Prince resurfaced from the water, his eyes looking more like that off a viper than ever before. "Hurry up Obi, we don't want to keep the Daynes waiting."

"Run" Oberyn told her walking towards her like a viper slithering towards its prey. Quickly turning around she sprinted away from him, her laughter still echoing through the gardens as many stopped to watch their prince chase the northern lady between the pools.

Alyssa was fast, but Oberyn's long legs gave him an advantage, his breathing becoming louder as he got closer to her. Two arms circled around her waist causing her two squeal in surprise when he threw her into the air, carrying her like a sack of potatoes over his shoulder. "Oberyn let me down!" Alyssa ordered, pounding his back.

"With pleasure my lady" Oberyn said smugly walking towards one of the pools. Her eyes widened when she realised what he was doing.

"Don't you dare-!" she screamed when he threw her off his shoulder, in the last second she grabbed his neck, the move catching him by surprise causing both of them to fall into the pool with big splash.

Even under water the sound of the children's laughter could be heard and when Alyssa resurfaced it only got louder. If she though she was wet before, she was completely soaked now, her dress a dark shade of blue and her hair almost black.

The moment Oberyn stood up, his face shocked, Alyssa used her hands to splash at him, there was no need to back down now, both were already wet. Oberyn copied her moves, soon the two of them was in a competitive water fight.

A cough came from behind them, turning around they saw Elia standing a few steps away, her arms crossed and an eyebrows raised. Behind her stood two people, a man and a woman that Alyssa assumed was the Daynes.

Arthur Dayne was a tall and well built man. His hair was the same colour as Alyssa's, a dark shade of brown, and his skin lighter than that of any other Dornishman. But it was his eyes that truly made him stand out, purple eyes. A light shade of purple, similar to that of orchids, made stand out even more, a Valyrian feature despite the fact that House Dayne didn't have a Valyrian heritage. Arthur Dayne was a handsome man yet the woman beside him made him look plain, almost.

Her long dark hair, a few shades darker than that of her brother, tumbled down her shoulders. She was a tall woman, yet only a few years older than Alyssa, who already had a womanly figure that was showcased by the violet dress she wore. But that was not the only thing the dress showcased for Ashara Dayne's eyes were a deep shade of violet that shone bright against her far skin.

"I see the two of you are clearly enjoying yourselves" Elia said, not being able to hide the amusement in her voice. "Oberyn I sent you to fetch Alyssa not attack her."

"Me? Attack her?" Oberyn asked incredulously, pointing between himself and Alyssa. "I will have you know that she pulled me into the water when I was being perfectly courteous helping her up."

"I would never do that" Alyssa exclaimed, acting offended by his accusation. "I was innocently strolling the gardens when you threw me over your shoulder like a sack of potatoes" she said innocently.

"Oberyn! That is no way to treat a lady!" Elia scolded her brother whose mouth was agape in shock, sending a glare towards Alyssa who managed to hold her mask of innocence.

"I didn't — She is lying —" Oberyn tried to defend himself, immediately cutting himself off when he saw that Elia didn't buy it, "You know what, who cares!"

Alyssa had to hold back a smirk of victory when Oberyn started mumbling profanities under his breath. Turning around she saw that the two newcomers looked at the scene, amusement evident on their faces.

"Lady Ashara, Ser Arthur it's an honour to meet you" Alyssa said giving them a small curtsy, her perfect curtsy and manners not suiting her current state, standing thigh deep in a pool completely soaked.

"Believe me Lady Alyssa, the honour is all ours" Ashara smiled brightly, "Elia have told me many great things about you."

Alyssa gave them a charming smile, Oberyn rolling his eyes in the background. "I shall show Ashara to her chambers, can I trust you two follow Arthur to his?" Elia asked her brother, a serious look on her face.

"Of course dearest sister" Oberyn gave her a sweet smile that didn't suit his face. Elia looked at him for a few seconds, like she was contemplating if he was serious or not, before she decided to trust him or that she did not care.

"I will see the three of you at supper this evening" Elia said linking her arm with Ashara, the purple eyed girl waving at them as the two girls walked away.

"How are you liking the Water Gardens this far Ser Arthur" Alyssa asked politely, trying to start a conversation with only dry person in the gardens.

"This far it has been utterly amusing" Arthur said, a wide smile on his face, beside her she could hear Oberyn snort.

"Arthur, tell me you are not falling for this innocent act" Oberyn begged, waving his hands towards Alyssa whose innocent expression didn't fall once.

"You want me to believe that a girl half your size managed to pull you down into the pool?" Arthur asked Oberyn, not seeing how Alyssa pursed her lips for a second in annoyance before her innocent smile once again took over.

"See Obi, you are the problem here" Alyssa said walking towards the edge, "Could you assist me Ser Arthur, I am afraid I am too short to properly get up."

"Of course My Lady" Arthur offered his hand kindly, Alyssa almost felt bad for her next moves. Doing the same thing she had done earlier with Oberyn, only failing to stand upright when Arthur fell on top of her, brining her with him under the water.

When she once again was able to breath she swam towards the edge climbing up. Standing up and turning around she saw the complete shock on Arthur's face and the amused one on Oberyn's.

"I apologise Ser Arthur. I did not think a girl half your size was strong enough to pull you into the pool" Alyssa said innocently, a smirk spreading across her face.

"I believe you now" Arthur turned towards Oberyn who still laughed at her words. "You have my deepest apology if I offended you My Lady."

"Your apology is appreciated and you may call me Alyssa" Alyssa smiled, she could see that his apology was genuine, he looked more impressed than offended.

"And you can call me Arthur" the knight said with a charming smile.

"Now Ser Arthur, don't you think it's time for us to show our northern lady what happens when you pull two Dornish warriors into a pool" Oberyn smirked, his eyes filled with mischievousness.

"I believe it is Prince Oberyn" Arthur smirked back. Before the two could start walking towards her Alyssa had already sprinted away.

Every man, woman and child laughed when they saw the young northern lady getting chased through the gardens by two full grown warriors.

.•° ✿ °•.

"Ouch!" Alyssa whined for the hundredth time. After her dancing lessons this morning Ashara and Elia had cornered her, forced her to take a bath to get rid of the sweat and then dragged her to a room filled with fabrics and a seamstress.

"How come you walk around with large bruises from your dancing lessons without a complain, yet being poked by a needle is too much pain for you to handle?" Elia asked in amusement, taking a sip from her goblet of Dornish Red. She and Ashara were seated on a cushioned sofa drinking wine, talking to the seamstress sense Alyssa did not say much, at least not concerning the dresses.

"I would rather die from a sword than getting poked to death by a needle" Alyssa grumbled under her breath, "And this really isn't necessary. I do not need more dresses."

"Nonsense" Ashara waved her hand dismissively putting a piece blood orange into her mouth, "You always need more dresses, especially now when you are still growing."

"Shouldn't it be the opposite? I am growing and therefor it's not necessary to make dresses, I will have grown out of them in a few moons anyway" Alyssa pointed out, a smug smile grazing her lips before it disappeared when she once again was poked by the needle.

Elia and Ashara looked at each other, none of them coming up with a smart response. "You can never have to many dresses" Ashara decided to say, Alyssa rolled her eyes at that.

"Do it for me Alyssa, I always wanted to have a little sister to dress up. Instead I got Oberyn" Elia said, a pleading look in her eyes that Alyssa couldn't say no to when the princess had been nothing but nice to her. When the princess saw that she wouldn't complain anymore she stood up, clapping her hands together in happiness. "Now lets see which colours matches your skin tone."

"I will try to restrain my joy!" Alyssa said in fake enthusiasm, the seamstress abandoning her needling to fetch pieces of fabric for testing.

"I'm glad that you won't kill us with your enthusiasm" Elia said playing along, not caring that she was being negative. "Now what colours do you usually wear?"

"Grey" Alyssa answered honestly, "Sometimes I wear white or brown as well. On rare occasions some blue."

"Oh you poor girl" Ashara said dramatically, herself and Elia always wore bright colours, something she had seen many of the ladies both in Dorne and Highgarden wear.

"In the North we don't care for dresses in various colours and styles, we dress to keep ourselves warm" Alyssa shrugged, at home she would have worn breeches all the time if her father had allowed it.

"But you are still a lady, don't your mother dress you up whenever you attend feasts?" Ashara said, looking almost confused by the northern way of life.

At the mention of her mother pain shot through Alyssa, her heart clenching in sorrow. She would of course never forget her mother, but some days it felt better not to think about it. Back home her mother was barely mentioned, unless nobles or servant wanted to say something nice about her or compare her to one of the Stark children.

"My mother died when I was four.  I dress myself for feasts, as well as my siblings" Alyssa said sadly, but she quickly composed herself, not allowing herself to be look weak.

"Forgive me Alyssa, I did not know" Ashara gasped in horror pulling Alyssa into a tight hug, Elia joining them. The hug lasted for a long time and Alyssa felt like she needed it, she loved her father and siblings, but somehow Elia and Ashara filled a part in her life she did not know was missing, like that of an older sister, almost motherly.

"There is nothing to forgive" Alyssa reassured, the three pulling away from each other. She wondered what her mother would have thought if she was alive. Would her father still have sent her South for fostering? Would she be proud of her?

.•° ✿ °•.

"Why is it so warm here?" Alyssa groaned, sending a glare at Oberyn when the man laughed at her. The sun stood high upon the sky, it was the warmest time of the day when Oberyn had decided it would be a good idea to visit the market. Alyssa's light yellow dress clung against her body, sticky with her sweat. Her hair was in a braid, yet rebellious strands clung to her sweaty forehead, the naps of her neck was completely wet and the shawl she wore to not get burned did not help.

"Why is it so cold in the North?" Oberyn shot back, walking beside her, completely unbothered by the heat. He strode through the market with confidence, without even noticing the looks he received from numerous women who looked half in love with him and the looks of admiration he received from the children.

Opening her mouth to respond but she didn't get out a sound, when her eyes landed on the place before her. This was the first time in her life she saw the sea and it was magnificent. The water was blue like the most beautiful sapphires, waves crashed upon the shores, the sound mixing with the laughter of children who played. Foreign spices, Dornish Red and the Summer Sea created an exotic smell, so unlike anything she had ever smelled before.

"It's beautiful" Alyssa breathed, a smile on her face as she observed horizon, large ships could be seen in the far distance, making them look smaller than mouses.

"I knew you would love it" Oberyn said proudly, "Now allow me to show you the finest Dorne has to offer" he offered her his arm with a smirk. Rolling her eyes fondly she linked her arm in his, allowing Oberyn to escort her through the market.

The merchants and buyers were more than pleased to see the Prince of Dorne, eagerly presenting them with the finest of silks in various colours, cinnamon, fiery peppers and other spices from the Free Cities. She got to taste exotic fruits, native to Dorne, like pomegranates, plums and blood oranges, all exotic, fitting to the land they grew in.

"Try this" Oberyn said held up a small oblong fruit in a brownish red colour that looked like a rotten plum. Alyssa's looked at him, her eyes narrowed in suspicion, shifting between Oberyn and the fruit in his hand. "I'm not trying to poison you."

"If anyone has the knowledge to poison me, it's you" Alyssa pointed out, she knew he wouldn't kill her but she also knew that their relationship consisted of teasing and and playing tricks on the other.

Oberyn narrowed his eyes at her, black eyes bore into grey. "Trust me" he said, giving her a sweet smile, a rare smile he only showed on rare occasions when he was sure that no one else saw it. "Now open you mouth."

Reluctantly she gaped, allowing Oberyn to put the fruit into her mouth. It was sticky, that was the first thing she noticed. Chewing it slowly a sweet taste filled her mouth. She made a sound of approval, swallowing it. "It's good, what is it?"

"It's a date" Oberyn said, popping one into his own mouth. "I believe the cooks use them in cakes, but you can also eat them like this."

"I don't think we have them in the North" Alyssa said, taking another one and popping it into her mouth.

"You don't have anything in the North, except for cold weather" Oberyn joked, his eyes filled with mischief as he looked down at her with a grin.

Alyssa let out a gasp of offence, crossing her arms angrily. "We have a lot of things is the North. Snow for example, Heart Trees, loyalty, justice, honour, honesty-"

"I get it!" Oberyn interrupted her, "The North is not a complete wasteland, you offer more than frozen balls."

Alyssa's mouth was agape in shock, although she added a dramatic gasp, knowing that he was teasing her, not meaning for it to sound like an insult. She picked up another date and threw it at him, hitting him in the forehead.

"Attacking the Prince of Dorne in his own land" Oberyn shook his head with fake seriousness, "That is punishable by death" he sighed dramatically.

Alyssa sent him a playful wink before turning around to run away, holding up her dress to not fall over as she sprinted away from Oberyn. Her feet sank into the warm sand, similar to the way her boots sank into the snow at home.

Alyssa's own laughter mixed up with Oberyn's as the two ran across the beach. Once again Oberyn's longer legs gave him an advantage and he eventually caught up, wrapping his arms around her waist to spin her around. Alyssa grew dizzier with every spin and it seemed like Oberyn did to as he started to stumble and eventually he fell over bringing both of them into the ocean.

The water was refreshing, yet not cold and when they sat down it only reached a few centimetres over their waists. But what shocked Alyssa the most was the salty taste of the water, she had swallowed by mistake.

"Why does the water taste like pure salt?" Alyssa grimaced, spitting to get rid of the salty taste that dried her mouth.

"Why didn't you close your mouth?" Oberyn shot back smirking, his hair clinging to his forehead as the waves crashed on the shore.

"I wasn't prepared for one of Dorne's finest warriors to loose his footing over a few spins" Alyssa smirked, just as a huge wave hit them both unexpectedly, drenching them completely from top to toe. Oberyn started to cough up water while Alyssa laughed in shock. "Why didn't you close your mouth Obi?" she teased him.

"Very funny Lys" Oberyn coughed sarcastically, sending a halfhearted glare her way.

"You are aware that your sister and Ashara will kill the both of us for ruining yet another one of my dresses" Alyssa looked down at her light yellow dress, now a few shades darker and even stickier.

"Oh don't worry, how are they going to kill one of Dorne's finest warriors and one of Westeros' best Water Dancers?" Oberyn sent her a smug grin that she couldn't help but copy.

"Believe me, those two would find a way."

.•° ✿ °•.

"Happy nameday!" a chirpy voice she recognised as Ashara's said. Alyssa wanted to ignore it, but the blinding light that erupted in her bedchamber was enough to rouse her. A moment later a heavy weight was placed on her stomach, rather forcefully, causing her to wake up to see that Oberyn had landed on top of her.

Groaning in pain she pushed him of her, causing the Prince to land on the floor with a thud. "Congratulations on your name day Lys" Elia smiled kindly, sitting down on her bed next to her to place a sisterly kiss on her cheek.

"Thank you" she smiled at Ashara and Elia before turning to send a glare to the man on the floor. "And thank you Obi for giving me a broken rib, you really shouldn't have."

"Anything for you, love" Oberyn winked at her, standing up from the floor to sit on the bedside beside Elia, Ashara placing herself on the other side.

"So one-and-ten namedays old now, soon you will be married, having children of your own" Elia joked, a teasing glint in her eyes, so similar to Oberyn's.

"Not for many years" Oberyn interfered, his tone serious for once, "Or maybe never. That way you will stay our innocent, yet deadly, northerner forever."

"As lovely as that sounds, my father wouldn't allow it" Alyssa tried to keep her tone light, even though it really worried her. She wasn't on the best terms with her father in the moment, meaning that he could already have arranged a match in her absence, ready to ship her away again. She didn't want to believe that the man she had grown up with would something like that, the man who had taken her out riding and kissed her goodnight every night. But this version of her father, a cold man, she didn't know what he would do. "Speaking of my family, have I gotten any letters?"

"Yes, I fetched them from the Maester this morning" Ashara said happily, showing her a bunch of letters.

"I will open them later" Alyssa took the letters and placed them on the bed beside her, not wanting to seem rude.

"Perfect" Elia stood up from the bed, "The servants are setting the table on one of the terraces for us to break the fast."

"But first, I have something to show you" Oberyn cut in with a smug smirk. "I will call for your handmaiden" he said, standing up to move out of her bedchamber. "I will wait outside!"

"What is he up to?" Alyssa looked between the two older girls who gave her knowing looks.

"You will have to wait and see" Elia teased her as the two stood up from her bed, "We will meet you two at the terrace after Oberyn's surprise!"

Elia and Ashara exited her bedchamber with one last smile, leaving Alyssa alone. Taking her chance, while waiting for her handmaiden, she decided to open the letters.

My dear Alys
Congratulations on your eleventh nameday. I can't believe that another year has passed since you left. I have returned to Winterfell, but the halls feel empty without you.
I'm glad that you will be back in a few moons and then if father disagrees I will personally ride down and bring you home.
Your brother who misses and loves you, Bran.

Alyssa smiled at her brother's words. She remembered how livid he had been when their father told him he was sending her to Sunspear. She had received a letter from him saying that he would ride down and get her, talking about how she would melt so far South. She could feel his anger towards their father in his words and had reassured him that she would be fine, not wanting to cause trouble between her father and eldest brother.

Dear Alyssa
I can't believe another year has passed and you are now one year older. I truly miss you little sister and hope you have a good time in Dorne.
Father wrote to me a few days ago telling me that I would be allowed to return home so we can all be together. I will reach Winterfell a few days before you.
Lord Arryn and Robert sends their congratulations as well. Robert also mentions that he is eager to meet you, I may have spoken of you, a lot.
Your loving brother, Ned.

Alyssa smiled at her sweet brother, thrilled that he too would return home so all of them could be together again, the whole Stark family. She was flattered that her brother had spoke about her, but a little suspicious to why his new friend wanted to meet her.

Dear sister
Congratulations on your nameday. I hope you return soon so Benjen can stop whining about how much he misses you.
Love, Lyanna

Her sister's letter was short, but she didn't expect anything else from Lyanna. She truly missed her little sister.

Sweet Alys
Congratulations on your nameday. I miss you and hope you can come home soon. It's boring here without you.
Love you, Ben

Her sweet little brother's letter didn't have to be long to be touching. She missed her baby, who would hang on her skirts when he was younger and follow her around the keep, even wake her up in the middle of the night when he had a nightmare.

Alyssa
I congratulate you on your eleventh nameday. Your siblings and I patiently await your return home.
Your father Rickard, Lord of Winterfell

Her father had once again managed to make her feel bad on her nameday. She may be foolish or naive, but she had excepted more than what she got. He may be the Lord of Wintefell but he can't be too busy to write more than two sentences to his daughter.

The next letter had a different seal than the previous ones, the golden rose of House Tyrell.

Dear Alyssa
I want to congratulate you on reaching your eleventh nameday. I trust that you are well and have not yet been tainted by the dornish.
Give my regards to your father when you see him, Olenna Tyrell

Alyssa was happily surprised by the fact that Olenna had written at all. The Queen of Thorns had become important to her and she would have to remember to thank her for that. Her comment about the dornish made her smile, she was to much of an uptight northerner, in Oberyn's words, to ever fall for the dornishmen's free love.

Dear Lyssa
Congratulations on your nameday. Highgarden is boring and without you I have to face Septa Delena's wrath on my own.
I hope that we will see each other again soon.
I miss you, Janna.

Alyssa smiled at her friends words, she could only imagine the pain of having to face the Septa alone. But it was the words underneath that caused warmth to flood through her heart.

I miss you, Willas

Stood in crooked and unclear letters after the bottom of the parchment. She missed her little curly haired friend as well and felt flattered that the young boy had taken time to write to her.

The entrance of her handmaiden brought her attention away from the letters and to reality. She quickly got laced into a white dress with silver embroidery of direwolves and snowflakes, a gift from Elia and Ashara.

Opening the door to her bedchamber she saw Oberyn leaning lazily against the wall. When the door creaked open his head snapped towards her. "Turn around" he ordered with a smirk. But instead of listening she crossed her arms and raised a challenging eyebrow. He probably realised that she wouldn't turn around on her own, so he grabbed her shoulders and spun her around.

Her vision blackened and she felt something cover her eyes. "Do I want to know why you are so skilled in putting blindfolds on people?" Alyssa asked teasingly. Oberyn tried to shield her from it, saying that he wanted her to stay pure and innocent, but she was aware that he had a big sexual appetite.

"Very funny" she heard him mutter, grabbing her arm to lead her through the corridors of the Water Gardens. Luckily for her, Syrio had blindfolded her a few times, a way of training her to relay on her ears instead of her eyes.

After a short walk he stopped suddenly, yanking her back when she continued walking. The cloth around her eyes disappeared and she had to blink a few times to let her eyes adjust to the light. When they did she let out a gasp in surprise at the sight before her.

It was a beautiful stallion. It was pale as snow, not a spot of grey on its body. The dorsnish sun caused its coat to shine even brighter, it looked almost ethereal. But it was the mane that made stallion more beautiful than any other horse she had ever seen, it was red as blood. The mane was long strands of red hair that fell beautifully over its long neck.

It looked almost like a Weirwood tree, the coat similar to the bark and the mane as red as the leaves. A horse with coat as white as snow and a mane that flowed like like fire.

"He's beautiful" Alyssa breathed out, entranced. She carefully reached over to pat its narrow head, the stallion neighing in response.

"And he is yours" Oberyn whispered behind her. She turned around quickly, shock and awe clear on her face, as she looked at the Prince who supported a smug expression.

"You are joking" she said in disbelief, her eyes narrowed with suspicion. It was the most beautiful stallion she had ever seen, she couldn't believe that it was hers.

"Why would I joke about that?" he asked her, looking a little offended by her accusation. "It's your nameday gift. I have read that the Weirwood trees have a bark as white as snow and leaves brighter than blood, I only saw it fitting for you to receive a gift that reminds you of your home."

Realising that he wasn't joking she couldn't contain herself from letting out a loud squeal, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly. She repeated her thanks to him a hundred times, causing the prince to laugh fondly.

"Anything for you Lys" Oberyn muttered into her hair. After a few more seconds of hugging he let her down to the ground. She turned back to her new horse, running her hands through its blood red mane. "What will you name him?"

Alyssa's forehead crinkled as she thought of names. She wanted something different, but still something that represented her home. "Sōna" she whispered after a few seconds. "It means 'snow' in High Valyrian."

"I'm glad that Syrio's lessons isn't a waste of time. Soon you will be Visenya Targaryen reborn" Oberyn teased her, leaning over to pat Sōna on the neck.

"I certainly hope not" she let out a unladylike snort, "I would rather not marry any of my brothers, or share my husband with Lyanna."

Both chuckled at the thought of it before Alyssa turned serious again. "Thank you for this, truly. This is a better nameday gift than I ever could have imagined. You didn't have to."

"You are my little sister now, it's my job to spoil you" Oberyn smiled softly, stroking her cheek. "Now let us break the fast with Elia and Ashara. Otherwise I fear that they will send out a search party."

Alyssa turned around to stroke Sōna's head again, placing a kiss on his mule. She may have wanted her family with her on her nameday, but Oberyn, Elia and Ashara were more than enough to fill the void.

.•° ✿ °•.

275 AC, Sunspear

It was her last moon in Dorne and they had been called back to Sunspear to celebrate Princess Loreza's nameday as well as announcing that Mellario was with child.

The feast was the day before and she laid in bed she though back to it. Oberyn had flaunted her around, introducing her to every Lord, Lady and Paramour he could find, boasting of her intelligence and skill with a sword, even more so when the night progressed and he became drunker. Alyssa never drank, she didn't like the taste and she didn't want to humiliate herself, but Oberyn was very fond of wine and didn't care about what others thought of him.

When the announcement that Mellario was with child was made the woman became even more arrogant, resulting in that most of the Martells, and Alyssa, spent the night as far away from her as possible.

She had also been forced to dance with Oberyn, then passed around between the lords and their heirs before Elia and Ashara saved her. It had actually been a very pleasant night, she had really enjoyed the food.

Her door was suddenly slammed. Quickly sitting up in her bed she saw Elia enter, her appearance disheveled and expression panicked. "Lord Yronwood has challenged Oberyn to a duel" she breathed out, she had probably ran the entire way here.

"What?!" Alyssa exclaimed in horror, "Why?"

"Apparently Lord Edgar found Oberyn abed with his paramour this morning. He is livid" Elia told her, the princess panic was clear on her face, as well as worry for her younger brother.

Alyssa was to shocked to move a muscle. She knew Oberyn had bedded a lot of people, but she had some hope that he wasn't a complete fool. "When is the duel?"

"Soon" Elia said. Quickly standing up from her bed Elia helped Alyssa into a dress and the two made their way over to one of the courtyards.

A crowd had gathered around to watch, the Princess of Dorne was there, her face void of emotion, yet anyone could see her anger. Oberyn stood beside his mother, spear in one hand and wineskin in the other. The two quickly made their way over, the prince oblivious to their presence until Alyssa punched his arm.

"You fucking fool" she said, not caring about who could hear her unladylike language. "You could have bedded any man or woman in Dorne, but of all people you had to choose the paramour of the man with the shortest temper who already did not like you. Not to mention the Lord of the second most powerful house is Dorne."

"Calm yourself Lys" Oberyn looked calmly at her her, his face was unusually serious, yet a small smirk was evident. "It's a duel to first blood, no one will die."

"I hope that's right for your sake, because if you die, I will kill you" she threatened him with a tight smile, her eyes glaring daggers at him and his foolishness.

"Today is not the day I die" Oberyn said with confidence, handing her his wineskin before he strode into the the middle of the arena were Lord Yronwood stood waiting. Edgar Yronwood was a huge man with a fierce temper, next to him Oberyn looked like a greenboy.

Elia wrapped her bony fingers around Alyssa's smaller hand, squeezing it. Turning around to look at the princess, they shared a worried glance, black and grey eyes holding an equal amount of worry for the rash prince.

It was the first duel, the first real fight, Alyssa ever had witnessed. A part of her was appalled by the idea of solving conflicts by fighting, but another part of her found a beauty in the battle. It was like a dance, a deadly dance were the two partners both tried to reach for the other and avoid them.

Lord Edgar relayed on his strength, his blows hard and forceful, but his movements slow. Oberyn on the other hand relayed on his speed, he wasn't as strong as his opponent so he had to be faster. His movements were quick like that of a water snake as he spun his spear around with grace.

The fight was even, Yronwood more experience, but Oberyn was just as good, despite his young age. Both fighters managed to hit the other one, yet not hard enough to draw blood.

The world seemed to go in slow motion as Alyssa watched Oberyn dodge a heavy blow from Lord Yronwood, spinning around the older man to graze
the edge of his spear against the older lords left shoulder.

Lord Edgar's sandy brown tunic turned crimson, blood covering his left shoulder as he cradled it in pain, falling down to his knees in defeat. The crowd cheered for their Prince, except those loyal to House Yronwood.

Oberyn's smirk was wider than ever, his Viper eyes filled pride and victory. Alyssa let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Elia's fierce hold on her hand loosened, a sigh of relief released from her lips.

Alyssa's eyes met with Oberyn's and the prince strode towards them, enveloping both girls in a tight hug. "My two favourite girls" he said fondly and despite her annoyance at his rash and foolish behaviour, Alyssa awarded him smile.

.•° ✿ °•.

Eight days had passed since Oberyn's duel and it seemed like everything was back to normal. Alyssa and Oberyn was sparring in the courtyard, both spinning around, dancing around each other with grace. Alyssa's ability with a spear had improved greatly since her arrival in Dorne, as well as her Water Dancing, and although she wasn't near Oberyn's skill with a spear she was better than most.

"You are good, one day you might even be able to beat me" Oberyn smirked, their spears crossed, both putting pressure on the other. The sound of footsteps caught Alyssa's attention, and it seemed to have caught Oberyn's attention as well sense his gaze left her and she used the advantage to knock him to the ground.

"And it appears that day is today" Alyssa smirked, her eyes wandering from the shocked man on the ground to the footsteps behind her.

Ashara ran over, her purple eyes wide with panic. "Lord Yronwood is dead" she breathed out, bending over slightly to catch her breath.

Alyssa could feel the color drain from her face. Turning back to Oberyn she saw that he too looked shocked to the core. But she could decipher another emotion in his onyx eyes, and emotion she had never seen before.

Fear.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 4.2K 80
"I cannot sing for you. You want me to sing you the songs of the south, where the pretty ladies fall in love with the brave knights and all is well w...
7.9K 401 47
Books I - VI of "A New Hope" series, complete. Book I - A New Hope *complete* Robb Stark is the heir to Winterfell, and at seventeen years old, his...
82.4K 2.1K 13
๐˜ฐ๐˜ฉ, ๐˜ช ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ, - ๐–จ ๐–บ๐—† ๐—๐—ˆ ๐–ป๐–พ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐—Œ๐—‰๐—ˆ๐—‚๐—…๐—Œ ๐—ˆ๐–ฟ ๐—๐–บ๐—‹ ยฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ด